Meeting Date: 07/08/04 06:30 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: GARDNER STREET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AUDITORIUM
7450 Hawthorne Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046

FOOD AND SOFT DRINKS FOR MEMBERS WILL BE SERVED AT 6:00PM

Details: 1. Call to order and roll call.

2. Secretary – Review and approve prior minutes (vote).

3. Treasurer – Review and approve treasurer’s report (vote).

4. Welcome to the new board members

5. President – Update

6. Vice President – Update

7. Review of 04/05 budget. (Possible motions and votes).

8. Discussion of June 29, 2004 election. (Possible motions and votes).

9. Discussion of possible focus of HHWNC for 04/05. (Possible motion and vote).

10. Request from Pinehurst Park Committee for funds to rescue Banyan Tree in Area 4. (Possible motion and vote).

11. Discussion of proposed fencing of upper Runyon Canyon Park. (Possible motion and vote).

12. Discussion of proposed inclusionary zoning ordinance for the City of Los Angeles. (Possible motion and vote).

13. Discussion of proposed changes to LAX. (Possible motion and vote).

14. General Comments – Comments from board members on non-agenda items.

15. Public Comments – Comments from the public on non-agenda items within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction. Public comments are limited to three minutes per speaker.

16. Adjournment (9PM or earlier).

The public is requested to fill out a ‘Speaker Card’ to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on Agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 3 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review: Gardner Street Elementary School, Valley View Elementary School, Yucca Community Center, on bulletin boards at the top and bottom of Runyon Canyon Park, Los Angeles Library: Will and Ariel Durant Branch and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website WWW.HHWNC.org. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at (323) 224-2317 or e-mail to [email protected]

PROCESS FOR RECONSIDERATION: The Board may reconsider and amend its action on items listed on the agenda if that reconsideration takes place immediately following the original action or at the next regular meeting. The Board, on either of these two days, shall: (1) Make a Motion for Reconsideration and, if approved, (2) hear the matter and Take an Action. If the motion to reconsider an action is to be scheduled at the next meeting following the original action, then two items shall be placed on the agenda for that meeting: (1) A Motion for Reconsideration on the described matter and (2) a Proposed Action should the motion to reconsider be approved. A motion for reconsideration can only be made by a Board member who has previously voted on the prevailing side of the original action taken. If a motion for reconsideration is not made on the date the action was taken, then a Board member on the prevailing side of the action must submit a memorandum to the Secretary identifying the matter to be reconsidered and a brief description of the reason(s) for requesting reconsideration at the next regular meeting. The aforesaid shall all be in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.

HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
UNAPPROVED
July 8, 2004
Gardner Elementary School – Auditorium
7450 Hawthorne Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046

1. CALL TO ORDER & ROLL CALL
Dan Bernstein, President called to order the regular board meeting at 6:30 p.m.

Present: Dan Bernstein, President; Ossie Cohen, Vice President; Jennifer Alwood, Secretary; Bob Cook, Treasurer; Paul Ramsey, Charles Alvare, Paul Woolsey, Anastasia Mann, Steve Kifer, Anthony Deckoff, Kenneth Jones, Orrin Feldman, Jeffrey Rouze, Theresa Larkin, Wilson Bell, Robert Gonzzales, Vince Vitale, Claire Guy, and Michele Miyakawa

Excused Absence: Dan Tyler, Jon Hartmann, Conrad Schoeffter and John Connolly, Parliamentarian

Dan welcomed the newly installed board and asked each person to introduce himself or herself and the area or issue they represent. Dan presented certificates to last year’s board members who were present.

2. APPROVAL OF JUNE 3 MINUTES
Jennifer Alwood, Secretary called for corrections or approval of the minutes.
MOTION By Bob to approve the minutes of June 3 with no corrections
SECOND: Orrin
VOTE: Motion passes-unanimous

3. TREASURER’S REPORT
Newly appointed treasurer Bob Cook reported that he has not received all of the financial information from the previous treasurer. There are $7,900 in demand warrants outstanding and $10,624 has been encumbered for future projects, which will be out of last year’s budget. The funds from last year would be rolled over into this fiscal year.

4. WELCOME TO NEW BOARD MEMBERS
a) Ossie welcomed new and returning members. Encouraged them that they are here to do work for the community. He explained the role of each executive officer. Each area will have $150 per meeting to use for food, to promote the meeting and to pay room rental and anything else that will make it successful. He encouraged everyone to take the Empowerment Academy training as well as generate new ideas out of their respective committees.

b) Christine Jerian, Project Coordinator from DONE introduced herself and talked about the areas she represents. She will help people with the Brown Act and can organize training for the board if they want it.

c) Dan: Officer’s scope of work will be spread out more this year than last year. John Connolly is in Paris, but he will help with Robert’s Rules of Order and play a more active role in the Council. Next week, I’d like a meeting with all 12 new board members. The group agreed on Monday July 12, in the conference room of Dan’s office building. He will notify everyone with details.

d) Anastasia: Can you tell all the new board members about how they get their e-mail address? Dan: This has already been set up by Darren Gold, former VP. He has agreed to stay on as special assistant to the President in technical website matters.

e) Dan: When you have a motion to present, it will be done formally. As soon as your committee takes a position, draft the motion along with an explanation and e-mail it to me, then I will put this in your meeting packet. This way I will have your exact motion and it will be ready for everyone to review.

f) Bob: Can we get an ad hoc committee to review procedures with an eye towards streamlining them? Committee volunteers are: Paul R.- Jeff, Bob, Anastasia Vince and Dan.

5. CITY REPRESENTATIVE REPORT
Eric Sanjurjo, Field Deputy for Councilmember Tom LaBonge, CD 4.

Eric: I was the Legislative Council, now I am field deputy for this area and liaison to Neighborhood Councils. Bulky Items Pick up: The Council office is looking for Neighborhood Council input on how to get bulky items off our streets. Councilmember LaBonge has a proposal that apartment buildings pay $2 a unit, split 50/50 landlord/tenant to pay for the pick up. There is information in your packet. Inclusionary Zoning. There are several public upcoming hearings. There has already been one downtown, but I don’t think there is one planned for Hollywood specifically. But the Chamber is having one at the end of this month; I will get you the information. Next Wednesday the Councilmember is hosting a Homeland Security forum at 6 p.m. and you re all invited – each of you has a flyer in your packet.

6. PRESIDENT’S UPDATE

DS Ventures
A representative from DS Ventures was to contact me on the residential project on the Hollywood Bungalows site. They want to present a traffic study. There was to be a meeting at the bungalows for area chairs of 1 and 3; and the traffic committee and area 1 if they want to participate. We would all go to a meeting with the developer, and then you would have discussion in your area meetings and then bring your findings to the board to see if there is a consensus. Robert: [Emergency Services, Police & Fire Committee] I want to attend as well.

Registration
How do we get people registered and their passwords? Just because you registered on paper at the election for a committee, it doesn’t mean it’s been inputted into the website. Orrin: When Theresa registered for my list, all I got was her e-mail address and no name. Wilson: I got an e-mail that my account was set up, it gave me an example, but it was not specific. Dan: Contact Darren. Wilson: The people who signed up last week, were they input? Dan: I haven’t gotten the registration forms back from the League of Women Voters.

Other items in the packet were:
1) Community Impact Statements and letter from Councilmember Tom LaBonge.
2) Public Works: Bulky Item pick up history and motion.
3) Neighborhood Council Breakfast. Attached is an agenda from the 6-17 meeting, if anyone wants to go to the August 19 one, let me know.
4) Homeland Security meeting on July 14th. Everyone please attend wearing your yellow NC cap and let Tom LaBonge’s office see that we are out in full force.
5) Silly String Hearing. An e-mail from Kerry Morrison, that the city will consider an ordinance.
6) Ad Hoc River Committee. Part of the LA River is in Hollywood and some of you may want to take a look at this information.
7) City Watch Newsletter is a valuable resource to subscribe to.
8) Business cards. Review the cards and tell me your thoughts on #2 as well as the letterhead sample. The address is a PO Box and 4 people have keys; we do not have a physical office. The phone requires monitoring from time to time to check incoming calls.

7. VICE PRESIDENT’S UPDATE
Ossie: The next board meeting everyone please come with one thing to share for a few minutes that is the most important thing they are working on or an idea they have.

8. REVIEW OF 04-05 BUDGET
Bob: I have not had access to the financials yet. In your packet is last year’s budget. At the April meeting we had a draft budget but it needs to be updated.

#1 MOTION by Bob that the board approves delegating the Executive Committee to do final drafting and approval of the budget.
SECOND: Kenneth

Discussion
Theresa: Many of us are new, so is this the projected budget for next year? If we have things we want to propose, do you allocate individual funds for each committee? Bob If you have any ideas on what you want to do or places to spend money, send Dan an e-mail or me. But you have to have formal approval. Theresa: There was mention during the election that we would have events. I want to work with Wilson on community events. Bob: We have $20,000 out of the $50,000 for outreach and events. Dan: Anyone can attend an executive committee meeting; they are open meetings. Orrin: How about the executive committee approving a certain percentage of the budget and bring it back to the full board? Bob: I would prefer to forecast the entire year. Last year we operated by quarters, and by the 4th quarter we had to figure out how to spend the balance. Ossie: Here are two options: come to the executive meeting and present your event and we will approve or reject. Or come to the full board and present, get a majority vote to approve or disapprove. Dan: If it gets moved to the executive committee those interested could influence that committee and you could get a treasurer’s report and review it. But you are delegating some of your authority to the executive committee to do this. Orrin: Last year we had heated battles on the budget, just as Bob was saying. I don’t think we should delegate to a group of 5 people. Charles: Considering that half of us are new, maybe we should go through the orientation meetings, before surrendering any power.

#2 MOTION by Charles to move to table.
SECOND: Vince

Discussion:
Dan: If we table it we don’t spend money until after the budget is approved. I suggest we don’t table, but we can vote it down and re-visit it.

#3 FRIENDLY AMENDMENT by Jeff to continue the discussion.
[There was further discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of tabling and how it will affect spending for the next 30 days]

MOTION by Charles to withdraw motion to table.

VOTE (Bob’s motion): Motion fails: 1 in favor, rest opposed.

#4 MOTION by Orrin to move to delegate authority to executive committee with respect to $7,500 of next year’s budget until the next board meeting at which point we can review a proposed budget.

Dan: We must submit a budget to DONE, we do that, and then it is subject to later amendment by this board. Paul R: We need a long-term focus for spending, beyond this requirement, a way of looking at our area’s problems. Dan: We have some figures on this April 04 – March 05 budget that we can go over for the next 1/2 hour.

#5 MOTION by Orrin that the board delegate authority for a preliminary budget to be prepared and submitted to DONE with the understanding that it will be presented and reviewed subject to change by the board and with the proviso that no long term contracts be entered into without the participation of the full board.
SECOND: Paul R

Discussion
Paul R: Could we have vague projects on this budget that can be changed later? Dan: Yes.
[Lengthy discussion on the budget, what happens to full board’s voting power later on with the budget, unfamiliarity with budget and NC of new members, etc.]Dan: We can change and alter this budget any time we want to. Bob was suggesting that the executive committee take it on right now. Let’s take the numbers on this budget and approve those items to submit to DONE. At our next meeting review it and work on it some more. [The budget was reviewed by everyone and changes made.]

#6 MOTION by Charles to move to approve this budget.
SECOND: Paul R

#7 MOTION By Orrin to withdraw his motion

9. YUCCA COMMUNITY CENTER
Sonya Young: Your area 3 committee meets at our facility. This council has generously donated money for our previous events. This year I would like to present a one-year budget of our annual events: Halloween, Christmas, Spring Easter Egg Hunt, community fair and other programs. This year we started our first summer camp. Our request is for $1,100.

Dan: This could be taken from the outreach budget.

10. AREA 7 SECURITY
Dan: Area 7 agreed at their last meeting to contribute to a security patrol on Sunset and that is not in this budget. It is at the west end of our district and has a few nightclubs on it and people living around there have been impacted by it and want to establish an improvement district. Anthony: This was organized by Garry, head of the CPAB who is organizing a group to hire a private security patrol for Crescent Heights and Sunset. The West Hollywood section also has their own security on Friday and Saturday nights. This is a pilot project until the end of September. They are asking for $2,000 support from us.

#1 MOTION by Robert G. to approve the proposed changes to the budget.
SECOND: Bob

Discussion:
Paul R: Are these two items presented, security and Yucca included in this budget, so they can be voted on later? Bob: Not as line items, you’d have to take it out of something else. Dan: Take it out of contingency.

Stakeholder: Is this budget binding? Bob: Binding until it is changed. Dan: It is binding now, but it will be put on the agenda for review. Kenneth: With the 2 additional requests, do we have to give the full amount to each? Bob: I suggest we table until the next quarter. [Discussion on how, when and how much to allocate to Yucca and area 7 security.] Charles: Do we have to vote on the private security tonight, is it urgent? Peter D’Alessio (stakeholder in Area 3) If you table this until next quarter you will miss both additional requests. Also please do not hurry people along to wrap up their discussion when this is a board that should be hearing people out. Anthony: Is it in order to consider the two additional requests tonight?

#2 MOTION by Anthony on behalf of Area 7, I am requesting that $2,000 be allocated for the security patrol.
SECOND: Claire

Discussion:
Paul R: Once the private patrol is put in place, the LAPD will pull back their service. We are coming up with things that we already pay for with our tax dollar and we are not getting adequate services by the City. Ossie: We have to show good faith in our community. We can start low and later give more money. Maybe start with $500. Robert: I am familiar with Yucca Center and they do good work with those kids. I would like to see the full $1,100 given to them. As for the security patrol, is it for the summer period only? Anthony: Two area residents were murdered a few weeks ago as a result of these clubs and the extra traffic it causes. The total cost of the pilot project is $25,000 for two months. They are getting money from businesses in the area. Charles: Two thousand dollars is excessive for such a small area. It is only for two months, there are a lot of taxpayers who should send a letter to their Councilman and get them to get more police. This is a misallocation of our funds. Bob: I agree with giving money to the Yucca Center. I oppose providing security to one particular area. Other areas could make the same request. We are prohibited from engaging in quasi-City services. This fails our bylaws because this is not on the agenda. Anthony: I feel people are against it so I will accept a friendly amendment for a reduced amount. Claire: What guidelines for the budget are in the bylaws? Dan: We can do whatever we want with the budget. Bob meant that he could send a demand warrant to DONE and they could reject it; they restrict whom we can engage.

#3 FRIENDLY AMENDMENT by Ossie that the board approves $500 for the security patrol for area 7.

VOTE: Motion carries. Seven (7) in favor. Five (5) opposed. Money to come out of contingency line item.

#4 MOTION by Robert to approve $1,100 for Yucca Center events and to take money out of outreach line item.
SECOND: Ossie
VOTE: Motion passes – unanimous

11. ELECTION
Dan: We had election procedures that the board wanted to change, so they came up with alternative ones and we had 100 people voting in the space of 1/2 hour and the second phase of the election took a little longer. The League comments from DONE said that the time was too short for people to vote and deprived them of their rights. There were a lot of people making comments about not knowing who to vote for. We want your input on what you saw and the formation of an ad hoc committee to start working on election procedures for next year. Paul R: A lot of people came out and there were no candidate speeches. People didn’t know who to vote for; I suggest speeches at the next election, and not at a separate candidate’s forum.

#1 MOTION by Charles that we table for a future date.
SECOND: Ossie

Discussion:
Dan: I’d like to see an ad hoc committee do this now, rather than wait, because that’s what happened this past year, and it was rushed. Bob: Everyone could write down their suggestions – good or bad- and bring them to the next meeting. Theresa: Move forward with the ad hoc committee, let everyone e-mail their suggestions and then bring them to a meeting.

VOTE: Motion fails: Eight (8) Not to table. Five (5) to table.

Discussion continued:
Ossie: If more than 6 people are e-mailing back and forth you are no longer an ad hoc committee and in violation of the Brown Act. Bob: However, the ad hoc committee can have one-way communication like a survey, so they can receive information from other board members, but not respond.

#2 MOTION by Robert that six people on an ad hoc committee receive one-way communication and pull this information together and bring it back to the board.
SECOND: Kenneth

Ad hoc committee: Bob, Robert, Theresa, and Dan will try to participate.

VOTE: Motion carries. Two (2) abstain, Jennifer and Paul R.

12. NEIGHBORHOOD 04/05 FOCUS
Dan: I would like to have an open discussion on what our primary focus could be for this fiscal year. Kenneth: That the board and stakeholders exercise their voice in City government. Theresa: To empower people. Charles: To communicate what we are doing and get more people to attend the meetings. Dan: We engaged a PR firm to assist us in this mailing and they will do more. If we do some significant things, we will get media press: i.e. transportation links, beautification, etc. Charles: How about a block party for every area, invite the media and get the community involved. Ossie: This meeting is not where it all happens, it happens in your area meetings. Get more people to your meetings. Bob: We spent tonight on issues that don’t impact the quality of life in our community. We did the same thing last year. Theresa: I am concerned with homelessness and drugs, etc. I like the idea of a block party. We need to find out what our community needs. Dan: We should have a focus and a goal to reach by the end of the fiscal year besides the regular work we are doing in our areas. Michele: To be effective, we must come up with a hand full of achievable goals and make sure they get done by a certain time frame. Charles: Did I receive information somewhere that we are not to be partisan? Dan: As a NC we don’t endorse a candidate, but we can work to get voters registered, that sort of thing.

13. ITEMS TABLED FOR FUTURE AGENDA
a) Pinehurst Park Committee
MOTION by Claire, seconded by Paul R

b) Runyon Canyon Park fencing
MOTION by Ossie, seconded by Robert.
Dan: Is anyone interested in this item? If so I will get parks and rec here to present.
VOTE: Motion passes – Unanimous

c) Inclusionary Zoning
MOTION by Ossie, seconded by Claire.

Discussion
Paul: Is what’s in our packet going to City Council for vote? Dan: This information is the matrix and other items. The Chamber is trying to get additional information and another proposal. Bob: I understand Councilmember LaBonge may act on this in October. Ossie: We don’t understand all the information or have all the facts, so a vote would not do us any good. Dan: I think we should table it and invest some time in reading this information and see if we can get some speakers and a panel discussion going.

VOTE: Motion passes to table – unanimous

d) LAX Changes
DAN: There is info in your packet; do we want to take up this issue?
MOTION by Bob to move to delete from agenda, and seconded by Michele.

Discussion:
Theresa: Does this impact us? Dan: Financially it does, but it is a big issue, do we want to spend the time on it? Paul R: We will never get honest data on this.

VOTE: Eight (8) in favor to delete. Two (2) against. Three (3) abstain: Claire, Anthony, Ossie.

14. GENERAL COMMENTS
a) Paul Woolsey: When I took office I led a delegation against a nightclub in my area. Now after countless months of delay the next hearing will be to oppose their license; it has taken a year for area 3 to get this far.

b) Bob: Tomorrow at 10 a.m. there will be a meeting of the Curson Canyon Home Owners at my home to discuss brush clearance in the parkland, Runyon Canyon and into Trebec open space area. If anyone is interested in that or property that backs up to the brush, you are welcome to come. Claire: Wasn’t the Santa Monica Conservancy levy about two years ago enacted to handle that? Paul R That was to purchase open space, there was no budget for maintenance or clearance of brush, etc. Dan: Bob is talking about other lands.

c) Robert: Can we have an agenda that is timed and a clock used to stay within those limits? Dan: I would love to do that; it is something for the board to consider.

d) Rena Dheming – stakeholder: I have some corrections to the minutes regarding my statements. Dan: The minutes were already approved at the beginning of the meeting, but please e-mail me your corrections.

e) Robert (stakeholder, and past president of Hollywood Heritage): Lots of Hispanics residents who did not vote in your election. Maybe you can do a press conference to come out and do something on the current problems, like homelessness and maybe people will be interested in coming to these meetings.

f) Dan: What is a good day to hold these board meetings? [Consensus was on Wednesday, and Dan said he would try to get the school. After the meeting adjourned Joyce Clarke informed Dan that she would be unavailable to take the minutes on Wednesday. Dan advised the group, and they said they would stay with Thursday.]

Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted

Joyce Clarke, PDQ Careers Temp

Menu