Meeting Date: 08/05/04 06:30 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: YUCCA COMMUNITY CENTER
6671 Yucca Street
Hollywood, CA 90028

Details: HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
AUGUST 5, 2004 6:30 PM
YUCCA COMMUNITY CENTER
6671 Yucca Street
Hollywood, CA 90028

FOOD AND SOFT DRINKS FOR MEMBERS WILL BE SERVED AT 6:00PM

The public is requested to fill out a ‘Speaker Card’ to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on Agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 3 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review: Gardner Street Elementary School, Valley View Elementary School, Yucca Community Center, on bulletin boards at the top and bottom of Runyon Canyon Park, Los Angeles Library: Will and Ariel Durant Branch and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website WWW.HHWNC.org. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at (213) 485-1588 or e-mail to [email protected]

1. Call to order and roll call.

2. Secretary – Review and approve prior minutes (vote).

3. Treasurer – Review and approve treasurer’s report and any budget issues (vote).

4. President – Update

5. Vice President – Update

6. Discussion of the new DONE budget process and re-approval of the budget for the year ended 6/30/2004 to include the carryover committments and funds from 2004. Vote

7. Discussion of the Mayor’s Budget Meeting on July 30, 2004 and vote on a motion for HHWNC to participate in the neighborhood council input process to the Mayor’s budget.

8. Discussion of top ideas/focuses of HHWNC for year July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.

Format: Brainstorm Session for 18 committees (entailing 2 minute message from Chair and 3 minutes from Board Members not to exceed 30 seconds per comment, one comment per person.) The purpose is to generate ideas rather than conversation. (Total 100 minutes)

Vote on Top 5 Ideas – (each board member to state top 3) Results will be tallied and presented via email and on www.hhwnc.org. (1 Minutes each member – Total 20 minutes)

Public Comment on Brainstorm Session (1 minute per person entailing comment only without conversation) Purpose only to generate ideas from public. (Total 8 minutes)

(Due to the time allotted to item 6, the board is expected to continue previously tabled items 7 to 10 to its next meeting)

7. Discussion of June 29, 2004 election. (Possible motions and votes).

8. Request from Pinehurst Park Committee for funds to rescue Banyan Tree in Area 4. (Possible motion and vote).

9. Discussion of proposed fencing of upper Runyon Canyon Park. (Possible motion and vote).

10. Discussion of proposed inclusionary zoning ordinance for the City of Los Angeles. (Possible motion and vote).

11. General Comments – Comments from board members on non-agenda items.

12. Public Comments – Comments from the public on non-agenda items within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction. Public comments are limited to three minutes per speaker.

13. Adjournment (9PM or earlier).

PROCESS FOR RECONSIDERATION: The Board may reconsider and amend its action on items listed on the agenda if that reconsideration takes place immediately following the original action or at the next regular meeting. The Board, on either of these two days, shall: (1) Make a Motion for Reconsideration and, if approved, (2) hear the matter and Take an Action. If the motion to reconsider an action is to be scheduled at the next meeting following the original action, then two items shall be placed on the agenda for that meeting: (1) A Motion for Reconsideration on the described matter and (2) a Proposed Action should the motion to reconsider be approved. A motion for reconsideration can only be made by a Board member who has previously voted on the prevailing side of the original action taken. If a motion for reconsideration is not made on the date the action was taken, then a Board member on the prevailing side of the action must submit a memorandum to the Secretary identifying the matter to be reconsidered and a brief description of the reason(s) for requesting reconsideration at the next regular meeting. The aforesaid shall all be in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.

HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
UNAPPROVED
August 5, 2004
Yucca Community Center
6671 Yucca Street
Hollywood, CA 90028

1. CALL TO ORDER & ROLL CALL
Dan Bernstein, President called to order the regular board meeting at 6:40 p.m.

Present: Dan Bernstein, President; Ossie Cohen, Vice President; Jennifer Alwood, Secretary; Bob Cook, Treasurer; John Connolly, Parliamentarian; Paul Ramsey, Charles Alvare, Paul Woolsey, Anastasia Mann, Steve Kifer, Anthony Deckoff, Kenneth Jones, Orrin Feldman, Jeffrey Rouze, Theresa Larkin, Wilson Bell, Robert Gonzalez, Vince Vitale, Claire Guy, Jon Hartman and Michele Miyakawa

Excused Absence: Conrad Schoeffter

2. APPROVAL OF JULY 8, 2004 MINUTES
Jennifer Alwood, Secretary called for corrections or approval of the minutes.
MOTION: Anastasia Mann
SECOND: Wilson Bell
VOTE: Motion passes-unanimous

3. TREASURER’S REPORT
Updated Board that we are waiting for DONE to get back to him – no ability to spend money.

4. PRESIDENT’S UPDATE
a) Dan introduced Rory Fitzpatrick, Chief Field Deputy, CD from Tom LaBonge’s office to speak. Mr. Fitzpatrick updated the Board on parking lot and fence for Runyon Canyon. The cost has risen for the parking area and fence and the City is in the process of trying to get funding. Public hearing to be scheduled regarding issue.
b) Dan passed out flyers about Children’s Festival of the Arts on August 8.
c.) Announced joint meeting regarding the Hollywood Bungalows to be held on August 19th.
d.) Dan reported Patricia Price has officially nominated herself for Housing, Planning and Support Issue Committee Chair. The position is vacant because Dan Tyler resigned. Dan announced he is accepting nominations until the next Board meeting, where we will vote to fill the open position.

5. VICE PRESIDENT’S UPDATE
a.) Ossie announced the new course book for DONE’s Empowerment Academy came out.
b.) Ossie passed around flyer to Board about Team Work L.A. If interested, contact Ossie or Christine Jerian, DONE.
c.) Ossie announced that every Board meeting will consist of the Committee Chair reporting what their committee is working on.

6. MOTION by Bob that the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council Board of
Directors authorize an amendment of it’s Fiscal Year Ended 6/30/05 Budget to include as appropriate the following carryover items from the Fiscal Year ended 6/30/04 budget:

Demand Warrants

Fontayne Marketing Services $5,000
Kiosk Down payment $2,900
Sign and Rockscape $1,750

Approved and Committed Expenditures

Hollywood Chamber of Commerce $300
Repair Sign $450
Beautification Team Mailing $2,000
Doggie Bags For Runyon Canyon $3,224
Final Kiosk Payment $2,900

and that any remaining unexpended funds from Fiscal Year 6/30/2004 be added to the Contingency category of the 6/30/05 budget.
SECOND: Dan
VOTE: Motion passes-unanimous

7. MOTION by Bob that HHWNC Board of Directors authorize participation in the
Mayor’s Budget Process for the Year ended 6/30/05 and appoint John Connolly and Bob Cook it’s representatives and Claire Guy its alternate representative in that process.
SECOND: Orrin
VOTE: Motion passes-unanimous

8. Ossie announced Brainstorm Session for the 18 committees (entailing message
from Chair and 3 minutes from Board Members not to exceed 30 second per comment, one comment per person) to discuss top ideas/focuses of HHWNC for year July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005.

a.) Traffic, Public Transportation and Parking
Jon: No one has thought about long term transit – we need to think long term. Short term has gotten us in trouble and we need to think of alternatives to oil.
Orrin: Area 9 has problems getting out and through the Laurel Canyon/Mulholland Drive intersection.
Claire: Agrees.
Anastasia: The closure of Hollywood Blvd. all the time is an immediate issue we need to focus on.
Dan: We should push for connecting people to and from Metro stations.
Paul: At Labonge meeting, this issue was discussed. Our Neighborhood Council is the where all traffic funnels through.
Anthony: Area 7 benefits from bus services. Neighborhood Council needs to support bus services.
John: Red line needs to continue out.

b.) Area 9
Orrin: Working to oppose development. Request Infrastructure committee deal with septic tank issues.
Joint meeting with Area committees and Infrastructure to discuss.
Anastasia: Agree on joint meeting as well as Charles and Steve.
Bob: He and Dan attended a Councilman breakfast where they found out that the ranked bus lines fell in bottom quarter and barely escaped closure. Need more people to ride the bus.
Wilson: We need central parking areas you can commute to and from.
John: More stops and scheduling for DASH.
Paul: We need #217 bus to start again.

c.) Area 5
Anastasia: Potential bungalow development, please attend August 19 joint meeting, and will send traffic study to everyone. There are many items she feels are incorrect in the study, which she will include with study email.

d.) Area 8
Kenneth: Very interested in Team Work L.A. Need more publicity about no smoking in canyons – people are smoking while driving on Laurel Canyon. City needs to support, but you can’t get them to respond.
Dan: We have to press fire issue. Go to the Council office and fire department to get them to man the canyons on red flag days.

e.) Cultural resources, Entertainment and Public Events
Wilson: Talking with Outreach committee and planning to have a meeting 8/17. Would like to reach out to cultural institutes, ethnic groups and schools. Would like to have an event with entertainment to get community involved so they know about HHWNC.
Bob: At Runyon Canyon meeting, mentioned barbeque. A woman the meeting couldn’t believe HHWNC would have a barbeque there with the yellow jacket problem.
Kenneth: Inviting schools to be apart will need to go through LAUSD.
Ossie: offered to contact friend at LAUSD. We need to have a “Meet & Greet.”
John: Great cultural resource is the new library. We should push to work with the library.
Robert: We should approach celebrities.
Dan: The Hollywood Bowl is also another resource we could try to get involved with.

f.) Area 6
Steve: The neighbors feel like the parking lot at Runyon Canyon is a betrayal. Wants suggestions of how to come to an agreement between neighbors and government.
Orrin: Suggests that Steve consider wither to ask the Board to pass a reultion to oppose the proposed parking lot. We also have many neighbors that are strong activists that can fight against this.
Michele: We need to find out when public hearing is going to be.
Dan: The parking lot won’t be built for 2 more years.

g.) Emergency services, Police & Fire
Robert: (Hands out flyer about EMS program.) Should have a meeting about terrorism in Los Angeles. A lot can be done with this committee.
Anthony: Area is concerned about terrorism, gangs, etc.
Dan: Need to outreach to community about this. It’s many people’s focus right now.
Ossie: We could send a press release out about committee meeting focusing on terrorism.

h.) Youth Development, Education and Recreational Resources
Michele: Confused what the purpose of brainstorming session is about. Feels the Board should have 3 issues to focus on in the community. Regarding her committee’s issues, they would like to see another community center in the area besides Yucca Community Center.
Wilson: Need all the committees to work together.
Kenneth: Important to work on issues at committee level.
Bob: We need to speak as a group as well.
Paul: Committees are there to educate the Board on their issues.

i.) Area 3
Paul W.: Managing changes in area. They are working on the upgrade on Hollywood Blvd.- managing advisory body, more police & security in area, zoning matters, gangs and outreach.
Robert: Need to work on parking off streets, lot parking and shuttles.
Bob: Ever thought of ped-a-cabs (cabs on bikes).

j.) Area 1
Paul R.: Frustrated that committee is trying to make changes to the community, but no one is listening, no response.
Dan: Become effective. Contact Garcetti’s office and then go Downtown.
Paul R.: Could we have a rep from the city come to a Board meeting?

k.) Area 7
Anthony: Committee working on traffic and safety, signs on Sunset Blvd.- creation of business improvement.
Robert: No one follows the traffic laws on Hollywood Blvd.
Jeff: Bring motion to Board to ask city for traffic study.
Dan: Shows material “Watch The Road,” a campaign being done by Metro.

l.) Infrastructure, Public Transportation and Regulated Resources and Services
Claire: Need shuttle buses to and from public transportation
Paul: There is a study on 101 Freeway that might be good resource.
Anthony: Need to work on repavement of Hollywood and Sunset Blvd.

m.) Community Development, Networking and Outreach
Theresa: Committee would like to change mission statement as well as plan more social gatherings to outreach to the community. Committee planning to work on PowerPoint workshop.
Ossie: Good idea may be to have a float in the Holiday parade and July 4th celebrations.
Theresa: Would like to do a regular mailing about happenings. Would like to postpone September barbeque for another month or two. Committee would like to do PSAs on the radio.
Bob: Need to pay attention to rules for Neighborhood Council. There are certain things we cannot do.
Dan: How about volunteering at Polling Places on November 2 and wear HHWNC yellow hats. (Dan will look into this.) Also the Hollywood Chamber expo is soon, HHWNC should have a booth.
John: We should have a table at the Farmer’s Market and information at the library.
Theresa: Send me your ideas over the next few weeks so they can set up organization calendar.

n.) Area 2
Charles: Committee is working on the need DASH service in Area 2 as well as investigating the number of stop signs on Outpost Drive, which have grown from 3 to 8 over the past ten years or so. Committee is also planning block party for spring and keeping an eye on construction of single family homes.
Ossie: Would like to see a “party bus” shuttle from Cinerama to and from Hollywood & Highland as well as the train stations.
Paul W: Parking is a concern because even though no one is occupying the Vogue Theatre, someone evidentially will and might not be so nice about parking. Need shuttle.
Theresa & Anastasia: Support “party bus” idea.
Stakeholder: Need to push bike lanes in Hollywood with City.

9-11. MOTION by John to table items 9-11.
SECOND: Ken
VOTE: Motion passes-unanimous

12.
a.) MOTION by Bob to table item #12 on agenda.
SECOND: Claire
VOTE: 7 in favor, 7 against – motion fails

b.) MOTION by Jeff to oppose proposed inclusionary zoning ordinance.
SECOND: Paul W.
Discussion: Jeff: 15% affordable to renters. Paul R: Should oppose, push up prices and will effect 4-5 unit buildings too. Bob: The ordinance is poorly drafted.
MOTION WITHDRAWN by Jeff. Move to table item #12.
13.) General Comment – Bob: Need to resurvey stakeholders soon – survey due on 9/30. Send questions to Bob as soon as possible. Will clear survey questions with Executive Committee. Theresa: We need to update the website. Dan: Contacted webmaster and looking into price.

14.) Public Comment – Patricia Price: Feels Dan is discriminating against her by not holding a vote for her self-nomination as Housing Committee Chair. She is planning to contact DONE to report Dan. Dan: Took offense to Patricia’s accusations because he did not receive her nomination in time to put it on the agenda, but he did announce her nomination to the Board in the President’s Update (item #4) when Patricia was not in attendance yet, and he said the Board will vote to fill the open position at the Board next meeting.
Stakeholder: Would like security in the Las Palmas area.

After discussion about next meeting date, the meeting is set for Thursday, September 23.

Meeting adjourned at 9:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted

Jennifer Alwood, HHWNC Secretary

Menu