Meeting Date: 09/18/13 06:30 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: Bonhams & Butterfields 7601 West Sunset Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90046
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
September 18, 2013
Bonhams & Butterfields
7601 West Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Directions: East of N. Fairfax Ave and West of N. La Brea Ave of Hollywood Blvd. Building is accessible and free parking is available behind the building.
The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on non-agenda and agenda items will be heard during the Public Comment Period and, within the discretion of the presiding officer of the Board, when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review: on bulletin boards at the top and bottom of Runyon Canyon Park, and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website ww.hhwnc.org and on the Department Of Neighborhood Empowerment (www.lacityneighborhoods.com). As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at 213-485-1360 or e-mail to [email protected].
ALL ITEMS LISTED ON THIS AGENDA ARE SUBJECT TO:
POSSIBLE ACTION, INCLUDING A BOARD MOTION AND
VOTING ON THE MOTION.
PROCESS FOR RECONSIDERATION: The Board may reconsider and amend its action on items listed on the agenda if that reconsideration takes place immediately following the original action or at the next regular meeting. The Board, on either of these two days, shall: (1) Make a Motion for Reconsideration and, if approved, (2) hear the matter and Take an Action. If the motion to reconsider an action is to be scheduled at the next meeting following the original action, then two items shall be placed on the agenda for that meeting: (1) A Motion for Reconsideration on the described matter and (2) a Proposed Action should the motion to reconsider be approved. A motion for reconsideration can only be made by a Board member who has previously voted on the prevailing side of the original action taken. If a motion for reconsideration is not made on the date the action was taken, then a Board member on the prevailing side of the action must submit a memorandum to the Secretary identifying the matter to be reconsidered and a brief description of the reason(s) for requesting reconsideration at the next regular meeting. The aforesaid shall all be in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.
- Call to order by Vice President, Orrin Feldman
- Roll call by Secretary Kathy Bañuelos
- Minutes – Review and approve Board minutes from August 21, 2013 meeting (MOTION AND VOTE) (5 minutes)
- Public Official Reports
- CD13 – Councilman Mitch O’Farrell
- CD4 –Sharon Shapiro, Field Deputy, Office of Councilmember Tom LaBonge
- Mayor’s Office, Kimberly Rodriguez, Central Area NC Rep.
- 43rd Assembly District, Rep. from the Office of Assemblyman Mike Gatto
- 46th Assembly District, Bill Hacket, Office of Assemblyman Adrin Nazarian
- 50th Assembly District, Rep. from the Office of Assemblyman Richard Bloom
Parliamentarian’s Report by Robert Mott (5 minutes) –
- Completion of DONE Training by Board Members and Voting Eligibility
- Vice President’s Report by Vice President Orrin Feldman (20 minutes)
Election for Outreach Committee Chair
- Candidates are Jodi Galvin and Jeff Zarrinnam
- Updates to HHWNC Web Site
- HHWNC support application of Michael Meyer for a position on the Zoning Advisory C committee and authorization for the President to submit of letter of support.
- Confirm next meeting date: October 16, 2013
Treasurer’s Report by Michael Meyer (10 minutes)
- Vote to approve monthly expenditures report.
- Secretary’s Report (5 minutes)
- Committee Reports (40 minutes)
Plum Committee Report (Orrin Feldman)
- 3315 Cahuenga Blvd. West – Oakcrest Market site – The Planning Dept.'s case no. is DIR 2013-2507. The PLUM Committee recommended by a vote of 4-0-0 that the HHWNC Board vote to support Gary Arabia's pending application to Planning Department for approval under the Ventura/Cahuenga Specific Plan for (i) a change of use to go from a market to a market and restaurant, and (ii) reduced parking to accommodate the existing driveway. This means approving the proposed project with a reduction from 14 required parking spaces to 10 required parking spaces, including the credit(s) for providing bicycle parking.
- Plum Committee Report (Orrin Feldman)
The proposed motion is for the HHWNC Board to approve the PLUM Committee's recommendation(s). (MOTION AND VOTE)
Ad Hoc Sign Committee (Michael Meyer)
- Vote to select final design of “Please Slow Down” signs.
- AREA COMMITTEES
- Reports by other Committee Chairs in attendance (Optional)
- Public Comments – Comments from the public on agenda items and non-agenda items within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction. Public comments are limited to 2 minutes per speaker.
- Old Business
- New Business – Presentation by John Frank, chief librarian at The Public Library's Durant Branch regarding new programming and increasing public safety at our local library.
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
September 18, 2013
Bonhams & Butterfields
7601 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90046
- Call to order by Vice President, Orrin Feldman at 6:30 p.m.
- Roll call by Secretary Kathy Bañuelos: Orrin Feldman, Kathy Bañuelos, Michael Meyer, Robert Mott, Mary Prange, Jim Geoghan, Jeffrey Papes, Dietrich Nelson, Patricia Weber, Robin Moreno, Joyce Dyrector, and Barbara Witkin. Quorum established. Carmen Libaridian arrived at 7:15 p.m.
- Minutes – (Papes/Witkin) moved to approve the minutes of the August 21, 2013 board meeting. The motion carried.
- Public Official Reports:
- CD13 – Councilman Mitch O’Farrell – Steve Whitland introduced himself and discussed the street closure on Hollywood Boulevard. Street closures will be limited to a few times a year.
- Congressman Adam Schiff: Field Deputy Mike Aguilera spoke about current issues. Their main office is in Burbank but on Tuesdays they man an office in Hollywood. He also spoke about a bill sponsored by the congressman that seeks to alleviate helicopter noise.
- 46th Assembly District, Bill Hacket, Office of Assemblyman Adrin Nazarian – Orrin reported that Field Deputy Bill Hacket has provided info about a free Women's Self Defense class starting in early Oct. There are also some new developments on clean and sober facilities.
- LAPD Officer Louis Gray, Vice Squad, talked about "The Pass," a transfer of alcohol license at 1835 N. Cahuenga that they are trying to prevent from opening. He talked about numerous serious crime issues at that location as well as a history of crime attached to the new, incoming owner. Dietrich & Robin will come back with language for a motion to support the police on this item at the Oct. HHWNC meeting.
- Parliamentarian’s Report: Robert Mott reviewed why board members must take the Ethics Training and the Funding Training by DONE for voting eligibility. He listed the board members who could not vote on funding motions at this meeting.
- Vice President’s Report by Vice President Orrin Feldman
Orrin announced that the Youth Chair has resigned. Annie Gagen stated that she would like to fill that chair. A vote will be taken at the next board meeting.
Election for Outreach Committee Chair: Candidate Jodi Galvin spoke about her interest to serve on the board. Jeff Zarrinnam, a longtime Hollywood resident, opted to not run for this position. (Geoghan/Nelson) moved that Jodi Galvin be appointed to the board for this position. The motion carried unanimously.
Updates to HHWNC Web Site: Valorie Keegan reviewed how the HHWNC website works and the ways it can be used to brief stakeholders on upcoming events or committee news.
Community business: (Witkin/Bañuelos) moved to send a letter of support for Michael Meyer for a position on the Zoning Advisory C committee and authorization for the President to submit of letter of support. The motion carried unanimously. Michael spoke about the 15-17 member committee being formed to advise the Zoning Committee in their quest to rezone the City (Plan L.A.) He is submitting his application and needed support from the board.
- The board approved the next board meeting date of October 16, 2013
- Treasurer’s Report by Michael Meyer – Michael reviewed the July & August Treasurer's reports. No money was spent in July. The budget is $37,000 for the fiscal year. In August, $197.00 was spent. (Nelson/Witkin) moved to approve the July 2013 and August 2013 Treasurer's Reports. The motion carried unanimously. (12 members eligible to vote).
- Secretary’s Report: No report.
- Committee Reports
Plum Committee Report (Orrin Feldman):
- 8150 Sunset/Crescent Heights is a 3-acre site and the largest application since NBC/Universal. A Town Hall meeting is planned for 9/25 at the Cinematographer's Guild to review this proposal.
- 3315 Cahuenga Blvd. West – Oakcrest Market site – Orrin stated that the PLUM Committee has recommended approving this renovation for Jill and Gary Arabia's pending application. They are proposing converting the former Oakcrest Market on Cahuenga into a restaurant with a coffee and wine bar and deli. John Hamilton spoke on behalf of the applicants and the plans to increase parking. (Witkin/Prange) moved sending a letter of the board's approval for the proposal. The motion carried unanimously.
- Ad Hoc Sign Committee – Michael Meyer reviewed the history of getting "Please Slow Down” signs sponsored by HHWNC. There will be 36 signs. The board reviewed four different designs and chose two: "D" and "E." (Meyer/Papes) moved to approve the ordering of the signs. The motion carried unanimously.
- Plum Committee Report (Orrin Feldman):
- Public Comments: None.
- Old Business: None.
- New Business – Orrin reported crime problems at the Public Library's Durant Branch as reported by John Frank, chief librarian. The board will take this up in October. Barbara will work on this with the new librarian, the new Youth Committee chair, and the new Outreach chair.
13. Board Member Comments: Dietrich Nelson reported that the Emergency Preparedness Fair in September was well-attended. A CERT class is being planned for early in the year. LAPD Captain Grimmalla has been replaced by Captain Carcione.
Meeting Adjourned: (Witkin) moved to adjourn the meeting at 8:15 p.m.
Minutes by Pat Kramer, Apple One.
- CD4 Virtual Candidate Forum
- Housing Chair Vacancy
- Executive Committee Special Meeting
- HHWNC Virtual Board Meeting- Wed. Sept. 16, 2020
- PLUM Committee & Ad Hoc Hollywood Community Plan Committee Joint Meeting – 9/9/2020
- PLUM Committee Meeting (virtual) – Sept. 2, 2020 @ 6pm
- Hollywood Hills PARTY HOUSE VIRTUAL TOWN HALL MONDAY 5:30 pm With CD4 Councilmember David Ryu