The Los Angeles Unified Board of Education voted to place a local revenue measure (parcel tax) on the June 4, 2019 ballot. This presents an opportunity for LAUSD to address the financial challenges elevated during the strike in January.
LAUSD is putting forth the local revenue measure to voters because educators, students and families in LA need more resources and support.
Facts on LAUSD’s Measure
- The local revenue measure will go before voters on June 4, 2019 and require 67% of voters to yes to approve the measure.
- If passed, the measure will charge 16 cents per square foot on buildings that sit on the owner’s property for a period of 12 years.
- It will provide exemptions for seniors and people with certain disability benefits.
- And it will generate approximately $500 million annually for Los Angeles Unified schools.
Accountability and Community Oversight
- This Measure will be subject to strict fiscal accountability and oversight.
- A new account will be established specifically for the revenue from this Measure.
- Each year, there will be an independent public report detailing the amount of funds collected and expended.
Benefits of Local Revenue Measure
- The Measure will provide critical funding to lower class sizes in local schools, reducing overcrowding and improving the classroom environment.
- An improving classroom environment will help retain and attract quality teachers.
- Funding from the Measure will also be used to provide schools with additional counselors, school nurses, principals and important support staff. They will help meet the mental, physical and academic needs of our students.
- The Measure will help provide a well-rounded education. It will sustain and expand arts and music programs in neighborhood schools, and provide the resources for more students to participate in these programs.
- 2020/21 NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL ELECTION CANDIDATE REGISTRATION – NOVEMBER 13 – DECEMBER 28, 2020
- HHWNC Board Meeting – November 18 (virtual)
- Wednesday, November 11, Hollywood Community Plan Implementation Plan to be discussed in Committees Meeting
- Joint Public Safety and Area 8 Meeting: RYLAN Online – An Introduction
- LAFD West Burueu Newsletter Oct-Dec 2020
- Tuesday, 10/13/2020, Community Discussion on Two Proposed Developments within Cahuenga Pass
- HHWNC Board Meeting (Virtual)- October 21