Meeting Date: 09/11/13 05:30 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: Will & Ariel Durant Library, 7140 Sunset Blvd., LA, CA 90046
Details: 1. Welcome, introductions, and general comments on the PLUM Committee's operations by the committee's chairperson.
2. Review the draft minutes of the committee's meeting on August 14, 2013. The draft minutes are posted and available for your review on the this website under the committee's meetings archive.
3. Report from the committee's chairperson re: 6613 Hollywood Blvd – Lucky Devil's zoning administrator's hearing on Sept. 3, 2012, with regard to th applicants' (i) proposed conditional use permit, License Type 41 renewal, and (ii) request for additional live entertainment entitlements. The Planning Dept.'s case no. is ZA 2013-1906.
4. Report from the committee's chairperson re: 6925 and 6801 Hollywood Blvd. – The Chinese 6 Marquee Theaters and a determination letter which the Planning Dept issued dated August 30, 2013 re: digitalizing billboards at the theaters. The Planning Dept.'s case no.is APCC-2013-346.
5. 3335 Cahuenga – Cahuenga Market
Gary Arabia of Global Cuisine, a business located on Formosa in West Hollywood, is asking the Planning Department to approve a proposed change of use at the old Oakshire Market site to go from a market to a market/restaurant. Approval wil be sought under the Ventura/Cahuenga Blvd. Specific Plan as well as for a conditional use permit to sell beer and wine, and maybe a full line of alcoholic beverages, for on site consumption at the restaurant and possibly for take away off site consumption.
The proposed project involves some facade renovations as well as interior change(s). A parking plan for the site also is being developed, and will be discussed at this meeting.
John Hamilton of Hamilton Architects will be presenting the proposed project, and Mr. Arabia may be part there too.
The Planning Department's case no. is DIR-2013-2507.
6. 1835 Cahuenga – Wonderland
A status report.
7. 7120-7130 Sunset and 1440 Detroit
An update regarding ongoing discussions between the developer's group, led by Mike Cohnazad and residents at 1436 Detroit, an adjacent building.
Please see the minutes of the committee's June 26, 2013 for details. The Planning Department's case no. is Za 2013-1302(ZV)(ZAA).
8. 8150 Sunset – A discussion regarding the proposed demolition of the existing shopping center and art storage center, and the proposed project for the site, which consists of a mixed use project of retail space and two apartment buildings. Details and renderings of the proposed project are available on the committee's website page.
Discussions on community outreach efforts to inform HHWNC and BABNC stakeholders about this proposed project as well as the EIR process for this proposed project.
The Planning Department's case no. is CPC 2013-2551.
9. Public comments on any non-agendized items.
PLUM committee members Orrin Feldman, Jeff Papes, Jim Geoghan were present.Area committee chairs Patricia Weber and Barbara Witkin were present. EMS committee chair Dietrich Nelson also was present.
There was a quorum of the voting members of the committee present when this meeting began at 5:32 p.m. 20 stakeholders were present.
The committee reviewed the draft minutes of its August14th meeting. The minutes were approved unanimously.
1. The committee discussed (i) the recent Planning Deptartment hearing on Lucky Devils restaurant, as well as the comment letter which HHWNC sent to the Planning Dept.following hearing, and (ii) the Planning Dept.'s recent letter interpreting the Hollywood Signage District's ordinance in response to the request of The Chinese 6 Marquee Theater's request for digital billboards on the exterior of the old theater building.
The committee's chair person also mentioned that discussion of the proposed project at 7120-7130 Sunset and 1440 Detroit would be tabled until the committee's October meeting because the developer decided not to attend and update the committee at the September meeting even though he had demolished the buildings on the site(s) since his last visit with the committee and not notified the committee that he would do so.
2. 3315 Cahuenga Blvd. West – Oakcrest Market site
Gary and Jill Arabia from Global Cuisine on Formosa in West Hollywood presented their proposed project for a new retail market and restaurant on the site of the old and now closed Oakcrest Market.
Judy Marlin, speaking on behalf the Cahuenga Pass Property Owners Association, voiced support for the project with the revised parking plan. So did the owners of the adjacent building.
The committe voted 4-0-0 in favor of recommending that the HHWNC board vote to suport Gary Arabia's pending application to the Planning Department for (i) a change of use to go from a market to a market and restaurant, and (ii) reduced parking to accomodate the existing driveway. This means approving the prposed project with a reduction from 14 required parking spaces to 10 required parking spaces, including the credit(s) for providing bicycle parking.
3. 8150 Sunset – Townscape Partners proposed project.
The committee held an almost 90 minute discussion of the proposed project and the development review process for the application. The committee's members and almost every stakeholder present had a lively discussion wth Gabe Kramer of Marathon Communications, Townscape's public relations consultants.
The committee's chair announced that there would be a town hall event to discuss the proposed demolition and redevelopment of the shopping center site —— which would be held on wednesday, September 25, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The Cinematographers' Guild Building, which is located at 7755 Sunset Blvd.
4. John Frank, the senior librarian at The Durant Public Library branch, described programing and public safety improvements. he was invited to make a more detailed presentation to HHWNC's board at the board's meeting on September 18, 2013.
5. The meeting was adjourned approximately at 7:45 p. m.
The committee's next meeting is scheduled for wednesday, October 9, 2013 at The Durant Public Libarary's community room.
- 2021 Neighborhood Council Election Vote-By-Mail Application
- COVID-19 Vaccine Enrollment & Information
- HHWNC Board Meeting – Jan. 20, 2021
- Area 7 / Infrastructure Meeting
- Hollywood Community Plan Update 2 Virtual Open House & Public Hearing, December 9
- 2020/21 NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL ELECTION CANDIDATE REGISTRATION – NOVEMBER 13 – DECEMBER 28, 2020