Meeting Date: 02/24/11 06:00 PM
Meeting Type: Special
Location: SPECIAL MEETING – BY LAW CHANGES/RECOMMENDATIONS/REVIEW FOR HHWNC
HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
February 24, 2011
1749 North La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Directions: South of Franklin and North of Hollywood Blvd. – Accessibility: Building is accessible through entrance at rear door. Parking: Free Parking is available behind the Women’s Club on the upper level of the parking lot.
The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on non-agenda and agenda items will be heard during the Public Comment Period and, within the discretion of the presiding officer of the Board, when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review: on bulletin boards at the top and bottom of Runyon Canyon Park, and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website ww.hhwnc.org and on the Department Of Neighborhood Empowerment (www.lacityneighborhoods.com). As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at 213-485-1360 or e-mail to [email protected].
- Call to order by President, Anastasia Mann
- Roll call by Secretary, Khaled Kaawar
- Introductions of Guests by President, Anastasia Mann
4. Parliamentarian, Aaron Rogers
- Present Committee revised HHWNC Bylaws – Proposal
- Approve the reformatted and revised bylaws drafted by the Bylaws Ad Hoc Subcommittee and post the exact wording of the bylaws to be voted on by HHWNC stakeholders.
c. Approve the addition of the proposed language describing a Planning Land Use Management (PLUM) Committee to Section 1: Standing Committees, of the proposed HHWNC Bylaws.
SPECIAL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
February 24, 2011
1749 North La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
- Call to order by President, Anastasia Mann at 6:20 p.m.
- Roll call by Secretary, Khaled Kaawar (via phone): Anastasia Mann, Orrin Feldman, Khaled Kaawar, Aaron Rogers, Maria Rychlicki, Marcello Robinson, Barbara Witkin, Daniel Savage, Joyce Dyrector, Jarone Johnson Jr., Dietrich Nelson, Wayne Johansson and Donovan Ryan. Quorum was established. Jonathan SweetandBrian Johnson arrived late. Absent: Michael Meyer, Terry Migliaccio, Valorie Keegan, Alison Connell, Christopher Kaufman, Bryce Lowery, Robin Moreno and Rebecca Arce.
- Introductions of Guests by President, Anastasia Mann introduced Eric Pitet, candidate for Traffic Chair. His candidacy will be decided in the March election at HHWNC’s meeting. Ronda Defeliz, a new stakeholder from Area 6, was also introduced.
Anastasia conveyed the news of the death of local firefighter Glen Alan. She acknowledged his contributions to the community and said that she would be attending his memorial and had donated a plant on behalf of the HHWNC board.
Khaled left the meeting at this point.
a. Parliamentarian, Aaron Rogers presented his committee’s recommendations for revisions to the HHWNC Bylaws. He thanked the committee members for their work and explained that the revisions were necessary to comply with a DONE mandate that all bylaws use the same template. The following were the changes/revisions suggested:
· Article 1 referred to the Name of HHWNC. No changes were suggested.
· Article 2 referred to the Purpose of the HHWNC. Aaron reviewed the language changes recommended by the Bylaws Committee.
· Article 3 referred to HHWNC’s Boundaries. The board discussed several changes they would like to see incorporated in this bylaw. (The board voted on the changes later in the meeting).
· Article 4 referred to the Definition of a Stakeholder. The language used was that proposed by DONE.
· Article 5 referred to the Governing Board of HHWNC. There were several changes made to the language of this section, including:
Clarification as to what constitutes a majority: 23 members.
That board terms are two years with no term limits.
Definition over how governing board members are elected.
Confirmation that board members cannot speak for the entire board unless authorized.
Shortened the time period for filling vacancies from 60 to 30 days (with 72 hours posting).
Left the Absence policy and Censure policy to be dealt with in the Standing Rules, as opposed to putting it in the bylaws.
Revised language in the section Removal of Board Membersto include the ability to consult with the City Attorney if/when this is necessary: The board also discussed the current requirement of needing 50 signatures by stakeholders to remove a board member and the problems this created when it came up last year. (Nelson/____) moved that the board reduce the requirement from 50 to 25). The motion carried 10-1-1.
There was no change made to the section, Resignation.
The board made a language change to the Community Outreach sectionstating “The “Council” shall endeavor to inform stakeholders as to the existence and activities of the Council…instead of the “Outreach Committee” shall endeavor….
· Article 6referred to Officers of the Board.A language change was made to define the duties of the President: “The President shall prepare agendas for and preside at all board and executive committee meetings.” (as opposed to preparing the agendas and presiding at “all committee meetings”).
Language changes were also made to the Treasurer’s role given recent changes with how the City allows Treasurers to handle finances.
Changes were also made under “Selection” (should this be “Election” of Officers defining that officers serve two year terms.
· Article 7referred to Committees. During discussion, the board recommended removing a sentence as it was unnecessary.
Regarding a quorum, the word “stakeholders” was substituted for “committee members.”
Two sections describing Ad Hoc Committees: “Committee Creation and Authorization” and “Committee Chair Responsibilities” were moved to Standing Rules.
· Article 8 referred to Meeting Times and Places. A change was made to section one: “All meetings shall be held at a location within the HHWNC boundaries at a location date and time set by the President or, in the case of committee meetings, by the Committee Chair,” adding “Committee Chair.”
Under Special Meetings, the language was revised to allow a Special Meeting to be called by either the President or a group of five board members.
Language changes were also made to Agenda Setting, clarifying this process.
· Article 9 referred to Finances. Language that no longer applied was removed.
· Article 10 referred to Elections. The committee used DONE’s proposed language. The minimum voting age remains at 18 for NC elections.
· Article 11 referred to the Grievance process. New language was proposed to simplify this section.
· Article 12 referred to Parliamentary Authority. No changes were proposed.
· Article 13 referred to Amendments. No changes were proposed.
· Article 14 referred to Compliance, which incorporated language proposed by DONE.
The committee’s also added new language under “Code of Civility.”
The committee added new language reinforcing the mandatory trainings and Self Assessment, as required by DONE.
· Attachments: The Boundary maps for interior and exterior boundaries were reviewed and changes were proposed to Internal Boundaries. (Nelson/ ___) moved that the Internal Boundaries include all of Nichols Canyon under Area 6.” This language will be added to Article 3, Boundaries.
- (Rogers/Robinson) moved that the board approve the Bylaws with the changes and revisions discussed and drafted by the Bylaws Ad Hoc Subcommittee and post the exact wording of the bylaws to be voted on by HHWNC stakeholders.”The motion carried 12-0-0.
c. Motion to approve the addition of the proposed language describing a Planning Land Use Management (PLUM) Committee to Section 1: Standing Committees, of the proposed HHWNC Bylaws. Marcello suggested that the Housing Chair be included on this committee. The board discussed several other additions and decided to first approve the formation of the committee, and then work on the Standing Rules.
(Rogers/________) moved, “To create a PLUM Committee be chaired by the VP with a minimum of five board members to be defined under Standing Rules.” The motion carried. Aaron stated that this item would be added to Article 7 under Standing Committees.
- Meeting Adjourned: 7:45 p.m.
Minutes by Pat Kramer, Kelly Services
- HHWNC Board Meeting – April 21, 2021
- Emergency Renters Assistance Program – Apply March 30th to April 30th
- Hollywood Community Plan Update – Letters
- Guest Speaker: Dr. Jorge Partida on COVID & Mental Health
- Air travel and COVID – From Boeing
- Community & Youth Relations Meeting with Guest Speaker Dr. Jorge Partida, LACDMH
- HHWNC Board Meeting – March 17 at 6pm