Meeting Date: 12/10/12 05:30 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: Will & Ariel Durant Library-7140 Sunset Blvd, LA 90046
Details: 1. Welcome, introductions and general comments on the PLUM Committee's operations by the committee's chairperson.
2. Review the draft minutes of the commitee's meeting on November 5, 2012, which are posted (and available for your review) in this committees' meetings archives on this website.
3. "An Introduction to the ABCs of CUPs, CUBs etc." by LAPD Captain Beatrice Girmala, who commands LAPD's Hollywood Division. (30 minutes).
4. 6541 Hollywood Boulevard: Mark Houston of 1727 Houston Hospitality LLC has applied to the City's Planning Department for a conditional use permit (Type 47) to continue selling a full line of alcoholic beverages at Jane's House, a restaurant and lounge beween 11 am and 2 am daily. The establishment has 4,123 square feet, 171 seats and live entertainment. Adolfo Suaya is the owner of Jane's House.
The Planning Department's case no. is ZA 2012-2991-CUB.
JT Fox of SoCal Development Consultants will be making the presentation on behalf of the applicant(s).
5. 1708 Las Palmas: Adolfo Suaya, through his company, What's On Third, Inc. has filed an application asking for a conditional use permit for the on-site sale and consumption of a full line of alcoholic beverages in conjunction wtih an existing 1,800 square foot restaurant with a bar. With the bar, there would be up to 80 seats. the proposed hours of operation would be from 10 am to 2 am daily. The application also asks the Planning Department for approval to have a disc jockey to play music, but not to provide any other live entertainment or dancing.
Angels & Kings is the name of the current operator of the establishment.
The Planning Department's case no. is ZA 2012-2850.
The applicant is arguing to the Planning Department that the restaurant, which has been on the site for the last 11 years with a conditional use permit to sell a full line of alcoholic beverages is doing so under a permit which "runs with the land". They are applying for this as a new permit even though they are arguing that there is no need for a renewal or extension of the prior pemit, which they argue applies to the property, rather than to the business operating on the property.
Michael Gonzales, Esq. will be making the presentation on behalf of the applicants.
6. Discuss selecting a vice chair for this committee to comply with HHWNC's bylaws and standing rules; elect a vice chair.
7. Public Comments on any non-agendized items.
The committee's next meeting is scheduled to be on monday, January 7, 2013 from 5:30 pm to 7:50 pm in The Durant Library's community room.
PLUM Committee members Orrin Feldman, Jim Geoghan, Jeff Papes, Mary Prange, and Robin Moreno were present. Committee member Joshua Kopel was ill and absent. Dietrich Nelson also attended as the EMS Committee chair. So, the committee had a quorum present.
There were approximately 18 people at the meeting, including Field Deputy Sharon Shapiro for City Council Member Tom La Bonge, LAPD Captain Beatrice Girmala, the Hollywood Division Commander, and LAPD Officer Louis Gray.
Orrin Feldman called the meeting to order at 5:35 pm, and made opening remarks. He explained that the agenda item for the business operating at 1708 Las Palmas, which is Angels & Kings, would be postponed to a later date inasmuch as Mike Gonzales, the attorney for Angels & Kings, had called that afternoon to say he would be unable to attend the meeting.
The other committee members introduced and identified themselves.
The committee reviewed the mintues of its November 10th meeting. The minutes were approved unanimously (with the exception of Mr. Papes, who had not yet arrived).
1. LAPD Officer Louis Gray lead a 50 minute discussion of the requirements to obtain Type 47 and Type 48 conditional use permits to sell beer, wine and alcoholic beverages. He also explained the different issues and considerations raised in the Planning Department's consideration of applications for CUPs and what the role of the State's Alcohol Beverages Commission in granting licenses, and their different interests in reviewing ongoing operations at restaurants, bars and nightclubs in Hollywood.
2. JT Fox, along with his clients, Mark and Jonnie Houston, presented their plans for a renovating and operating Jane's House at 6541 Hollywood Boulevard under a Type 47 conditional use permit. There was a discussion with regard to whether the proposed operations would be permissible under a Type 47 CUP, or whether a Type 48 CUP would be required. Much of the discussion turned on the extent of the proposed food service at the new Jane's House. Captain Girmala arrived in the middle of that discussion from a meeting downtown with the FBI, and joined in the discussion. Mr. Fox also pointed out that, since no date had yet been set for a zoning administrator's hearing, and that the Houston brothers were still working on refining their proposal, it might be appropriate to come back at a later date to continue the discussion. The committee's members agreed.
3. The PLUM Committee members who were present decided to table their election of a vice chair until a later meeting when all the committee's members were present.
4. Cassandra Barrere had a public comment on a nonagendized item.
5. The PLUM Committee's meeting was adjourned at 7:50 pm.
The PLUM Commtitee's next meeting will be held on wednesday, January 9, 2013, from 5:30 pm to 7:50 pm at the Durant Library's community room.
- CD4 Virtual Candidate Forum
- Housing Chair Vacancy
- Executive Committee Special Meeting
- HHWNC Virtual Board Meeting- Wed. Sept. 16, 2020
- PLUM Committee & Ad Hoc Hollywood Community Plan Committee Joint Meeting – 9/9/2020
- PLUM Committee Meeting (virtual) – Sept. 2, 2020 @ 6pm
- Hollywood Hills PARTY HOUSE VIRTUAL TOWN HALL MONDAY 5:30 pm With CD4 Councilmember David Ryu