Meeting Date: 02/08/12 07:00 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: VIP Lounge – Chinese 6 Multi-plex Theatres
Details: 1. Discuss and vote on a proposal from the Boys and Girls Club of Hollywood to be one of their sponsors of its After School Music Program.
2. Presentation from Mr. Lin regarding his application for a Conditional Use permit to serve alcoholic beverages including beer and wine at the Vegas Buffet Hollywood restaurant currently under construction across from Fresh and Easy. Possible motion to support.
3. Presentation from Mr. Lee Rabun and Ms. Alwyn Hight Kushner regarding the Chinese Theatres LLC – Master Land Use Permit application to permit the sale and dispensing of a full line of alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption with a food service, low key live entertainment and patron dancing for special ocassions (e.g. movie premieres, wrap parties, award show banquets and entertainment industry functions). Possible motion to support.
4. Discussion on recent police activity in the area.
5. Discussion on agenda items for next meeting.
Call to order 7:25pm
Jarone gave an overview of the agenda items. There was a quorum.
Agenda item 2
Mr. Lin spoke about his vegas buffet restaurant being constructed across from Fresh and Easy. He hopes to open early June. Will be operational 7 days a week. 11am – 9pm Monday thru Thursday and 11am – 10pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Prices will be 11.95 for lunch and 19.95 for dinner. It will be mainly seafood, sushi, sashmi, asian, etc. There will be 183 item food line. The space is 12,400 square feet This was only informational.
Agenda item 3
Mr. Lee Rubun gave a history on Hollywood and Highland from it’s opening in 1998 to when Donald Kushner purchased it. He has a 77 year lease and then he will own the theatres. It will always be a Movie Theatre he said. But he needs to be competitive with the other theatres. That’s important to be viable. Right now it’s been like a white elephant. He’s also looking to put in an imax screen.
There will be a restaurant in the Lobby. There will be alcohol served. 21 and over will wear wrist bands. Star trained security and ushers. 1 usher per 40 people. Since 2005 the VIP Lounge served beer and wine. When H&H opened they had 15 liquor licenses. In 2000 they expanded it and added 5 more. In use now are 13 of the 20.
Mr. Kushner won a lottery and received his liquor license from Alameda.
Mr. Kushner moved to LA in 1978 and opened an Animation Studio in Venice. Did 1000 hours of TV and the movie TRON.
There will be a hearing in 6-8 weeks and he is asking for our support. No vote was taken. Only informational.
Agenda item 1
There was no representative from the Boys and Girls Club, but they will be appearing at the next HHWNC meeting. Jarone said his son goes there and they do great work. He made the pitch that we should support them. Jarone made a motion to give five thousand dollars toward their music program. Joyce seconded. It passed. (Joyce later found out that the Boys and Girls Club is not in our area and that Jarone should not have brought this up since he has a conflict of interest since his son goes to the Boys and Girls Club)
Agenda item 4
Jarone spoke about the crime in the area. Mail box theft is a big issue. Keep an eye out for a late model White Mercedes and a late model Black Mercedes. Also a late model Jaquar. They have been caught on Video. If you see them, call the Police. Also, a lot of Auto Thefts around the side streets by Sunset and Franklin. Another reminder about not leaving anything visible in your cars.
Jarone gave some information regarding the Banana Bungalows on West Cahuenga that had been approved for Condos. But because of the downturn in the real estate market, they were never built. The Developer has come back, but now is looking to build single family homes. There is still a Drainage issue/problems. The Hearing Process was continued till March 2nd.
There was no discussion regarding agenda items for next meeting.
Adjourned at 8:15pm
- HHWNC Board Meeting January 19, 2022
- REVISED Bureau of Street Services Committed Projects Feb 2022 Zones I & II
- LAFD West Express Magazine: Jan – Mar 2022
- Area 4 Board Seat Open
- PLUM / Area 3 meeting, January 10, 2021 6:30 PM
- No Board Meeting Month of December – DARK
- Yucca Community Center Classes & Clinics