Meeting Date: 10/24/12 06:30 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: Woman’s Club of Hollywood – 1749 N. La Brea, Hollywood 90046
HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
October 24, 2012 – 6:30 pm
Woman’s Club of Hollywood
1749 North La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Directions: South of Franklin and North of Hollywood Blvd. – Accessibility: Building is accessible through entrance at rear door. Parking: Free Parking is available behind the Woman’s Club on the upper level of the parking lot.
The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on non-agenda and agenda items will be heard during the Public Comment Period and, within the discretion of the presiding officer of the Board, when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review: on bulletin boards at the top and bottom of Runyon Canyon Park, and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website ww.hhwnc.org and on the Department Of Neighborhood Empowerment (www.lacityneighborhoods.com). As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at 213-485-1360 or e-mail to [email protected]
ALL ITEMS LISTED ON THIS AGENDA ARE SUBJECT TO:
POSSIBLE ACTION, INCLUDING A BOARD MOTION AND
VOTING ON THE MOTION.
PROCESS FOR RECONSIDERATION: The Board may reconsider and amend its action on items listed on the agenda if that reconsideration takes place immediately following the original action or at the next regular meeting. The Board, on either of these two days, shall: (1) Make a Motion for Reconsideration and, if approved, (2) hear the matter and Take an Action. If the motion to reconsider an action is to be scheduled at the next meeting following the original action, then two items shall be placed on the agenda for that meeting: (1) A Motion for Reconsideration on the described matter and (2) a Proposed Action should the motion to reconsider be approved. A motion for reconsideration can only be made by a Board member who has previously voted on the prevailing side of the original action taken. If a motion for reconsideration is not made on the date the action was taken, then a Board member on the prevailing side of the action must submit a memorandum to the Secretary identifying the matter to be reconsidered and a brief description of the reason(s) for requesting reconsideration at the next regular meeting. The aforesaid shall all be in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.
1. Call to order by President, Anastasia Mann
2. Roll call by Parliamentarian, Scott Campbell
3. Minutes – Review and approve Board & Executive Committee minutes from September 19, 2012 meeting (Vote) (5 minutes)
4. Installation of Newly Elected Board
5. President’s Report by Anastasia Mann (20 minutes)
a. Election for Area 1 chair. Posted 9/24/12. Rick Cullen is a candidate.
MOTION AND VOTE.
MOTION AND VOTE.
b. Public Official Reports
i.) 42nd District- Nicole Carcel, Office of Assemblyman Mike Feuer
ii.) Mayor’s Office – Fabiola Vilchez, Central Area Director – Budget Survey
iii.) CD4 –Sharon Shapiro, Field Deputy, Office of Councilmember Tom LaBonge
iv.) CD13 – Angela Motta, Field Deputy, Office of Council President Eric Garcetti
v.) LAPD-Capt. Beatrice Girmala
c. Kevin James, Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles
d. Matt Szabo, Candidate for Council District 13
e. Presentation by Paul Edelman regarding the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority’s proposed ballot Measure HH
f. Matt Szabo, Presentation on Measure J, which would extend for 30 additional years the existing one-half cent sales tax that was approved in 2008 (Measure R) and is currently set to expire in 2039.
g. Mayor’s Community Budget Day – Saturday, November 17
h. Appointment of Budget Day Representatives
i. Website Training and Discussion, Guest Speaker Valorie Keenan
j. Possible Board retreat – Jarone Johnson, Jr.
k. Community business
l. Decide next meeting date – November 14th or 28th?
6. Vice President’s Report by Orrin Feldman (10 minutes)
a. PLUM Committee meetings
7. Treasurer’s Report by Michael Meyer (10 minutes)
a. Approve Monthly Treasurer’s Report. MOTION AND VOTE.
b. Update on traffic calming sign program
i. Neighborhood Signs/Ad Hoc Committee Needed
8. Secretary’s Report by Kathy Banuelos (5 minutes)
9. Parliamentarian’s Report by Robert Mott (5 minutes)
a. Mandated Board Training/Ethics Rules
b. Standing Rules-address absences & Self-Assessment Report
10. Committee Reports (40 minutes)
a. ISSUE COMMITTEES
i. EMS Chair Report (Dietrich Nelson) – HHWNC’s EMS Chair, in conjunction with Hollywood’s Community-Police Advisory Board, is seeking a grant to develop and implement an emergency resiliency plan that will educate our stakeholders and assist them in a faster recovery after a natural or man-made disaster. This grant is for $15,000 a year for three years. MOTION AND VOTE
ii. Other Reports by Committee Chairs in attendance (Optional)
b. AREA COMMITTEES
i. Reports by Committee Chairs in attendance (Optional)
11. Public Comments – Comments from the public on agenda items and non-agenda items within the Board’s subject matter jurisdiction. Public comments are limited to 2 minutes per speaker.
12. Old Business
13. New Business
HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
BOARD MEETING MINUTES
October 24, 2012
Woman’s Club of Hollywood
1749 North La Brea Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90046
1. Call to order at 6:30 p.m. by President, Anastasia Mann.
2. Roll call by Treasurer Michael Meyer: Anastasia Mann, Orrin Feldman, Marcello Robinson, Valorie Keegan, Nicole Carcel, Patricia Weber, Joyce Dyrector, Dietrich Nelson, Barbara Witkin, Maria Sussman. Quorum not established. Absent: Aaron Rogers, Scott Campbell, Eric Paquette, Jeff Zirrinnam, Maria Rychlicki, Alison Connell, Alwyn Hight Kushner, Jerone Johnson Jr., and Donovan Ryan.
3. Minutes: Approval of September 19, 2012 board meeting and executive meeting tabled.
4. Installation of Newly Elected Board: Interim Manager of EmpowerLA Gracie Lui presided over the installation of the new board.
5. Roll call taken for 2012-2014 incoming board by Recording Secretary Kathy Banuelos: Present: Anastasia Mann, Orrin Feldman, Kathy Banuelos, Michael Meyer, Robert Mott, Jim Geoghan, Jerry Garcia, Joshua Kopel, Mary Prange, Jeffrey Papes, Dietrich Nelson, Vincent Laresca, Nicole Carcel, Rick Cullen, Patricia Weber, Joyce Dyrector, Paul Darrigo, Barbara Witkin, Clive Whitcher, and Maria Sussman. Absent: Alwyn Hight Kushner, Robin Moreno, and Jarone Johnson, Jr.
6. President’s Report by Anastasia Mann
a. Appointment of Area 1 chair: Rick Cullen briefly described his background. The board approved appointing Rick to the board by a unanimous vote.
b. Candidate for Mayor of Los Angeles –Lydia Grant represented Kevin James, a candidate for Mayor of L.A.
c. Public Official Reports:
Mayor’s Office – Fabiola Vilchez, Central Area Director, encouraged the new board members to participate as Budget Reps for the Mayor’s Budget Survey.
d. Mayor’s Community Budget Day –Michael Meyer, Jim Geoghan, Maria Sussman Jeffrey Papes, and Mary Prange said they would attend this event on Saturday, November 17, 2012.
e. Measure HH: Paul Edelman from the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority explained proposed ballot Measure HH that helps to protect areas of the City from development. It is a special local measure that will tax each parcel of land $24.00 per year for ten years to purchase and safeguard open space. (Feldman/Meyer) moved that HHWNC go on record as supporting Prop HH and urge stakeholders to vote in favor of it.” The motion carried unanimously.
f. Measure J: Matt Szabo, Deputy Director of “Yes on J” Traffic Committee, explained this ballot measure which would extend for 30 additional years the existing one-half cent sales tax that was approved in 2008 (Measure R) and is currently set to expire in 2039. Funds from this measure would go towards transportation projects. (Prange/Meyer) moved that HHWNC support Measure J. The motion failed: 8-4-6. Anastasia explained that an abstention counts as a ‘no’ vote. A revote was taken and the motion carried: 9-3-0.
g. City Council Candidate: Matt Szabo talked about his platform for Eric Garcetti’s seat on the City Council.
h. Website Training and Discussion: Valorie Keenan gave an overview of how the website posting works. Anastasia added that all the information exchanged on emails, to stakeholders and at meetings is considered public information. She also reviewed bylaws info as it pertains to meetings and ethics.
i. Board retreat – Jerone was absent so Anastasia spoke about the purpose for a board retreat.
j. Community business: HHWNC voted to support the NBC/Universal Evolution Plan without the residential section or digital/electronic signage. The Plan is currently before the City Council for approval.
k. Next meeting date: The board discussed whether to hold monthly meetings. (Prange/Witkin) moved to hold the next HHWNC meeting on Nov. 28th. The motion carried. (Darrigo/Garcia) moved that HHWNC go dark for December. The motion carried.
7. Vice President’s Report: Orrin Feldman talked about the HHWNC’s PLUM Committee’s objectives, type of items discussed, and how they will work with the Planning Department.
8. Treasurer’s Report: Michael Meyer explained the Treasurer’s Report, which identifies monies allocated to Neighborhood Purposes Grants, expenditures approved for Issues and Area Committees, and other expenses approved by HHWNC. The board spent almost its entire budget last year. $4,000 of last year’s budget was carried over for the election but Michael noted only $1,600 of that amount was actually spent. The amount remaining in the current fiscal year’s budget is $36,282.00. (Nelson/Carcel) moved to accept the monthly Treasurer’s report. The motion carried unanimously. Michael talked about the problems with the Traffic Calming Sign Program. Patricia, Jerry and Nicole volunteered to serve on the Ad Hoc Committee.
9. Secretary’s Report by Kathy Banuelos introduced herself.
10. Parliamentarian’s Report by Robert Mott updated the board on their need to take the Ethics training within 45 days of joining the board. He also reviewed the absence policy and the Self-Assessment Report, which needs to be done yearly.
11. Michael asked if anyone would like to help with the posting of the agendas. Dietrich and Eric offered to help.
12. Committee Reports
a. ISSUE COMMITTEES
i. EMS Chair Report: (Nelson/Darrigo) moved that HHWNC support the application for the funding of a grant, in conjunction with Hollywood’s Community-Police Advisory Board, to develop and implement an emergency resiliency plan that will educate stakeholders and assist them in a faster recovery after a natural or man-made disaster. This grant is for $15,000 a year for three years. The motion carried unanimously.
13. Public Comments:
Richard Bloom, candidate for the 50th Assembly District, introduced himself. He currently serves as Mayor of the city of Santa Monica and is a board member of the CA Coastal Commission, among other things. His platform prioritizes education and addresses homelessness.
14. Meeting Adjournment: (Carcel/Nelson) moved to adjourn the meeting. The motion carried. Meeting was adjourned at 9:02 p.m.
-Minutes by Pat Kramer, Apple One-
- PLUM Meeting, September 15, 2021
- Area 3 / Area 4 / Housing / Business / Public Safety
- Lawn Be Gone Workshops
- Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council to Hold a Town Hall for Upper Runyon Canyon Parking
- Community Enrichment Chair Vacancy
- HHWNC Board Meeting – Sept. 22 (Dark in August)
- HHWNC Board Meeting – July 21, 2021