Meeting Date: 2/28/24 9:21 pm

Meeting Type: Special

Input Requested on Hollywood Bowl Traffic!

With the upcoming Hollywood Bowl season starting up again in April, your feedback is requested on traffic related issues, solutions, and a community meeting date!

In 2022, the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council (HHWNC) established a Joint Committee to address the ongoing traffic implications as a result of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association’s management of the Hollywood Bowl.
At the Joint Committee meetings, the community got together to identify the issues of concerns and prioritized a list of recommended solutions that were outlined here.
Since then, HHWNC has been working with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association, LA County representatives, LA City representatives, and other neighborhood organizations to address the ongoing traffic concerns through the Los Angeles Philharmonic Association Hollywood Bowl Community Advisory Group.
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Association has limited the participation in the advisory meetings and the community is prohibited from attending.
HHWNC will host a community meeting in the coming months to:
  1. Update the 2022 list of traffic issues caused by the Los Angeles Philharmonic Associations’ management of the Hollywood Bowl; and
  2. Update the list of solutions that the community is requesting to address the traffic issues.

Submit your feedback using the links below:

ISSUES: What issues do you experience in the community related to Hollywood Bowl Traffic? Please click here to review the list of issues and provide your feedback on any missing items.
SOLUTIONS: What solutions would you like to see implemented to solve the issues related to Hollywood Bowl Traffic? Please click here to review the list of solutions collated and provide your feedback on any missing items.
MEETING: A special ‘Hollywood Bowl United Community Group’ meeting will be held over Zoom to review the feedback given in the links above and and develop a formal approach and timeline to address the issues and implement solutions. Please click here to indicate your interest in attending this meeting and select the date and time that works best for you to attend.

If you have pictures, videos, or other feedback regarding neighborhood traffic issues caused by Hollywood Bowl events, please email them to [email protected]

Agenda

Meeting Date: 11/9/21 7:00 pm

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81728977166

Details:

Housing/Area 9 Committee
Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council
November 9, 7 PM
Zoom; https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81728977166

Or One tap mobile:
US: +16699006833,,81728977166#  or +12532158782,,81728977166#

Or Telephone:
Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 253 215 8782  or +1 346 248 7799  or +1 312 626 6799  or +1 929 205 6099  or +1 301 715 8592  or 877 853 5257 (Toll Free) or 888 475 4499 (Toll Free) or 833 548 0276 (Toll Free) or 833 548 0282 (Toll Free)

Webinar ID: 817 2897 7166
    International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kufEDRhIA

Agenda

I.              Call to order and welcome.

II.            Approval of October 12 meeting minutes, motion and vote.

III.          A continued discussion of motion 21-0658, introduced by Councilmember Raman, streamlining the development of Permanent Supportive Housing and 100% Affordable Housing Developments. Discussion, with possible motion and vote.

IV.           A presentation by Area 9 Chair Richard Klug on incentivizing Section 8 tenants for local landlords. Discussion, with possible motion and vote.

V.            General Public Comment on Non-Agenda Items.

VI.          Committee Business – Comments from the Committee Chairs on subject matters within the Chair’s jurisdiction

 

            a.             Comment on Committee(s) Member’s own activities/ Brief announcements.

            b.             Brief response to statements made or questions posed by persons exercising their general public comment rights.

            c.             Introduce new issues for consideration by the Committee(s) at its next meeting/request that the item be placed on the next meeting’s agenda.

            d.             Ask Committee Chairpersons to research issues and report back to the Committee(s) at a future time.

VII.         Decision on next meeting date(s)

VIII.       Adjournment

The quorum for the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council committees is five (5). The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Committee(s) on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Public comments on agenda items will be heard when the item is considered. Comments from the public on non-agenda and agenda items are heard during the Public Comment Period and, within the discretion of the presiding officer of the Committee(s), when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Committee’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker unless waived by the presiding officer of the Committee(s). Agenda is posted for public  review: on bulletin boards at: the Durant Library, 7140 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, 90046; and electronically on the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council website www.www.hhwnc.og.org and on the Department Of Neighborhood Empowerment (www.lacityneighborhoods.com) or at the scheduled meeting. In addition, if you would like a copy of any record related to an item on the agenda, please contact Darnell Tyler at [email protected]. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least three (3) business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Project Coordinator at 213-485-1360 or e-mail to [email protected].

Agenda

Meeting Date: 5/18/21 6:00 pm

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Zoom / Digital

Details:

The Area 9 Committee of the Hollywood Hills West Neighoborhood Council will meet this coming Tuesday, May 18, at 6:00 PM electronically via a digital Zoom meeting.

Items to be discussed will be the ongoing concerns with the illegal street racing taking place on Mulholland Drive and possible mitigation efforts to reduce or eliminate the dangers.

Also representatives from the MAK house will be in attendance to hear the concerns of stakeholders.

Hope to see you there.

 

AgendaMinutes

Meeting Date: 6/9/16 6:00 pm

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Will & Ariel Durant Library 7140 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 0046

Details:

HOLLYWOOD HILLS WEST NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL

Area 9 COMMITTEE AGENDA

June 9, 2016

6:00 pm

William and Ariel Durant Library Branch7140 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046

 

Directions:  East of N. Fairfax Ave and West of N. La Brea Ave of Hollywood Blvd.  Building is accessible and free parking is available behind the building.

The Area 9 committee consists of all the eligible stakeholders who live, work or own real property in Area 9, and also to those who declare a stake in the neighborhood as community interest stakeholders, who are people with substantial and ongoing participation in the area.  Often, community interest stakeholders are involved in the area through community organizations, including educational, non-profit or religious organizations.

At least 5 eligible stakeholders need to be present to have a quorum, which would allow the meeting’s chair to take any votes on agenda items. All eligible stakeholders who are present at a meeting are eligible to vote on any items when a vote is taken.

The public is encouraged to attend and make public comments. The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the committee on any item on the agenda prior to the committee taking action on an item. Public comments on agenda items will be heard when the item is considered. Comments from the public on non-agenda items within the committee’s subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the public comment period for non-agenda items and, within the discretion of the committee’s presiding chair, when other agendized items are being considered. Public comment is limited to two (2) minutes per speaker unless waived but the presiding chair of the committee.

Agenda items may be taken out of order. Motions may be taken on any agenda item. Any action taken would then be referred to the Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council’s board (as a recommendation) for further consideration and possible action.

The library is located at the intersection of Sunset Blvd. and Detroit, which runs south from Sunset Blvd. Free parking is available in the library’s parking lot, which is entered from Detroit.  The library is ADA accessible. If anyone has any disability related concerns, please email [email protected] ahead of the meeting.

Additionally, as a covered entity under Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services and activities.  Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting our neighborhood council’s coordinator, Lorenzo Briceno at (213) 878-1551 or email to [email protected].

 

ALL ITEMS LISTED ON THIS AGENDA ARE SUBJECT TO:

POSSIBLE ACTION, INCLUDING A BOARD MOTION AND

VOTING ON THE MOTION.

 

 

AGENDA

  1. Welcome and general comments.
  2. Consider approving minutes of previous committee meetings.
  3. Willow Glen water pipes – LADWP will begin repiping the water pipes under Willow Glen from Thames Street to Woodstock Road this summer. LADWP will make a presentation and be available to take questions about the upcoming work to improve our area’s infrastructure.  Jesus Gonzales, LADWP’s Western District Engineer for water distribution, will be making the presentation.
  4. Traffic issues – This is a report back to our community on the suggestions made at Area 9’s January 14th meeting. Catherine Landers, Senior Field Deputy for Council District 4, as well as LAPD Hollywood Division Sergeant Darrell Davis and West Traffic Officer Pedro Cordero are planning to be there. LADOT Traffic Engineer Chris Rider and the Hollywood District Manager Jeannie Shen have been invited to attend, but we don’t have any current commitment for any LADOT representative to attend.
  5. Animal Issues – What to do when wildlife issues pop up in our area? We’ve invited Animal Services and The Lockwood Animal Rescue Center to participate, present, and be available for questions. The recent experience with a wolf dog living freely in our area for quite some time resulted in many stakeholders having many questions and concerns. This is an opportunity for a discussion.  It’s also an opportunity to recognize that The Lockwood Animal Rescue Center has been providing capture and rescue assistance to the Laurel Canyon – Nichols Canyon area for the last several years. There will be a discussion and vote on a motion to recommend that HHWNC’s board allocate funds to the rescue center to help maintain the wolf dogs rescued from our neighborhood council’s area who are living there now.                                                                                                                    Proposed Motion:  Council allocate up to $5,000 of HHWNC’s remaining funds for this fiscal year to The Lockwood Animal Rescue Center’s Warriors and Wolves project as a neighborhood purposes grant to pay for some of the much greater expenses the rescue center is incurring each year to take care of the six (or seven) wolf dogs residing there now, but who were rescued from HHWNC’s area during the last few years without any request for financial assistance.
  6. Public comments on non-agenda items.
  7. Adjournment.

 

 

 

Meeting Date: 01/14/16 06:00 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Will & Ariel Durant Public Library – 7140 Sunset Blvd.

Details: 1.  Welcome and general comments.

2.  Consider approving minutes of previous meeting.

3.  Update and discuss LA Department of Water & Power's proposed project to replace the fresh water pipes under Willow Glen between Thames and Woodstock.

4.  Report re: recent proposed new homes in our area.

5.  Discussion of the area's current traffic problems and possible improvements to mitigate the impact of the traffic increase(s).  Council Member David Ryu's Senior Field Deputy Catherine Landers, LAPD's Hollywood Division's Senior Lead Officer Ralph Sanchez and HHWNC's Traffic Committee Chair Jim Geoghan have been invited to join, and help lead us through, this discussion.

6.  El Nino Preparedness

7.  Public comments on non-agendized items.

8.  Adjournment

The City's Department of Neighborhood Empowerment would like you to know that, since the City is a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accomodation to ensure equal acccess to its prorams, services and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days prior to the meeting by contacting Orrin Feldman at [email protected] or calling HHWNC's hot line at (310) 854-6000.

In compliance with CA Government Code section 54957.5, non-exempt writings that are distributed in advance of this meeting or at the meeting may be viewed by contacting the Secretary.  In addition, if you would like a copy of any record related to an item on the agenda, please contact Orrin Feldman at [email protected]. or call HHWNC's hot line at (310) 854-6000. 

The meeting started at approximately 6 p.m.

Approximately 35 stakeholders attended the meeting, including Catherine Landers, Council District 4's Senior Field Deputy, LAPD West Traffic Division Officer Pedro "Pete" Cordero, LAPD Hollywood Division's Senior Lead Officer Ralph Sanchez, and HHWNC Traffic Committee chair Jim Geoghan.

The stakehodlers voted to approve the draft minutesof the area 9 committee meeting held on October 3, 2015. 

Orrin Feldman explained that DWP had reconsidered when DWP would start the fresh water repiping under Willow Glen from Thames St. to Woodstock Road.  DWP has rescheduled construction to start in July, 2016 due to several recent water breaks there.

There was a brief rundown of some of the new proposed projects, aka new homes, for the area and, especially, along Willow Glen. 

A lengthy discussion followed with regard to the area's current traffic problems and possible improvements, which included suggestions for:

(i) asking the City to provide more LAPD and LADOT enforcement, and especially at the Laurel/Mulholland and Woodrow Wilson/ Woodstock intersections during peak weekday hours.

(ii) asking LADOT to provide for greater east-west traffic flows along Mulholland Drive, and for easier access from Woodrow Wilson to Mulholland Drive, even if that meant resetting the way north-south traffic flows on Laurel Canyon Blvd.

(iii) asking LADOT to prohibit northbound traffic from turning left/west at the Woodrow Wilson/Woodstock intersection during peak afternoon/evening weekday hours.

(iv) asking LADOT to consider installing stop signs on Mulholland Drive at both Torreyson and Briar Summit.

(v) asking Street Services to repaint the "keep clear" signage along Mulholland Drive, where appropriate, such as at Briar Summit.

(vi)  asking Street Services or some other part of Public Works to trim the bushes in the public right of way at Mulholland/Torreyson intersection so that drivers leaving Torreyson can more easily see oncoming westbound traffic.

Ms. Landers undertook to take these suggestions to LADOT for LADOT to consider.

There also were a significant number of stakehodlers who suggested and wanted the City to reach out to WAZE and other navigation services following any changes in our local traffic rules in order to ask if they could reprogram their services' suggestions to drivers so that drivers would know what the new rules would be, and could comply with them.  

There were no public comments on non-agendized items.

The meeting adjourned at approximately 7:50 p.m.  

Meeting Date: 10/03/15 10:00 AM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Will & Ariel Durant Library – 7140 Sunset Blvd.

Details: 1.  Welcome and general comments.

2.  Consider approving minutes of previous committee meetings. 

3.  Describe and discuss LA Department of Water and Power's upcoming project to replace the fresh water pipes along Willow Glen between Thames and Woodstock. 

4.  Describe and discuss LA Fire Department's curb to canopy tree trimming program(s) in our neighborhood, which occurred in 2012 and 2015, and how LAFD pruned and cut down protected oak, walnut and sycamore trees without complying with the LA Municipal Code and CA CEQA requirements to ask the City's Urban Forestry Dept. for permits, provide notice to residents etc. Discuss LAFD's temporary suspension of this program while we discuss how to correct the problem(s).

5.  Discuss some recent and pending applications for new houses at the Planning Dept.'s Mulholland Design Review Board. Report on the current status of older items, including Bulwer Drive and the Woodstock Road extension/Mt. Olympus north slope.

6.  Discuss LA Building & Safety Department's enforcement program's problems in our area.  Examples include lack of permits and code enforcement as well as airbnb type short term lease arrangements.

7.  Public safety matters – LAPD Hollywood Division's Senior Lead Officer Ralph Sanchez hopes to be at the meeting to answer questions.

8.  El Nino & emergency preparedness.

9.  Public comments on non-agendized items.

10.  Adjournment.

The meeting started at approximately 10:05 a.m. 

Nine stakeholders were present.

The stakeholders voted to approve the draft minutes of the area 9 committee meeting held on May12, 2015.

Orrin Feldman explained DWP's plan to replace the fresh water pipes under Willow Glen from Thames to Woodstock this winter. It will be a 4-month project, and it is expected that there will be only two planned disruptions of water service, and that DWP will provide 3-days advance notice each time. There is an open question about whether just the cuts or the entire roadway will be repaved. A discussion followed. 

Orrin explained that the tree cutting crews coming through our area from Willow Glen to Torreyson in 2012 and 2015 were working for LAFD under a canopy to curb tree cutting program which LAFD had not announced to the public. It turns out that hundreds, and maybe thousands, of protected trees had been trimmed and cut without LAFD or the contractor obtaining permits from LA's Urban Forestry Dept, which was required by CA CEQA and the LA Municipal Code. There are ongoing discussions and meetings with LAFD to see if LAFD can correct the program's operational problems in the future and avoid being sued for cutting down those protected trees. For the moment, LAFD has suspended the tree cutting program(s).

A discussion followed about recent developments along Willow Glen, including renovation work being done without any open permits at one house, and applications for demolitions of existing houses and constructing new homes at 7631 and 7681 Willow Glen.  

Several stakeholders made brief comments about non-agendized items.  

The meeting adjourned at approximately 11:35 a.m. 

Meeting Date: 05/12/15 07:00 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: The Mulholland Tennis Club -2555 Crest View Drive

Details: 1.  Welcome and general comments.

2.  Consider approving minutes of previous committee meetings.

3.   Update with regard to last week's Los Angeles City Council Committee on Public Works and Gang Violence Reduction hearing to consider a Santa Monica Mtns. Conservancy appeal of the Board of Public Works granting a categorical exemption from further environmental analysis under CA CEQA of Bulwer Drive, LLC's proposal to pave over the existing dirt roadway and do additional grading and drainage work on the Bulwer hillside going down to Laurel Canyon Blvd. 

Consider a proposal to ask the Hollywood Hills West NC board to adopt a community impact statement on Bulwer Drive issues:

Draft Community Impact statement:

HHWNC recommends that the LA City Council grant the SMMC's pending appeal and direct the Department of Public Works to do further environmental anaylsis of any proposal for road paving, grading or drainage on the Bulwer hillside because the hillside is such an important link in the east-west wildlife corridor through the Santa Monica Mtns.

4.  Pace Restaurant -2100 Laurel Canyon Blvd.

This would be a continuation of the discussions at the 10/19/14 and 3/24/15 meetings of Pace Restaurant's still pending application for additional entitlements to (i) go from serving beer and wine to a full range of alcoholic beverages for on site consumption and (ii) expand the size, no of seats, and hours of operation (both indoors and outdoors), and (iii) add disc jokeys and karaoke. 

Possible presentation by the restaurant's owner(s).

There still are open questions and concerns which arose after the 10/19/14 meeting, which include (i) whether the restaurant was expanded and operated with the addtional space but without the permits; (ii) whether the patio and othe restaurant space encroaches on the public right of way/public land without required permit, (iii) whether speed humps were installed next to the restaurant without required permits, and (iv) whether there is an LAPD approved valet parking plan.

5.  Public comments on non-agendized items.

6.  Adjournment.

 

The meeting began at approximately 7:05 pm.

Orrin Feldman introduced himself and Sean Benaroya, the area 8 committee chair. There were approximately 25 stakeholders present. 

The stakeholders voted to approve prior meeting minutes for meetings held on October 14, 2014 and March 24, 2015.  

1. Bulwer:  Orrin reported on the City Council Committee on Public Works and Gang Violence Reduction's vote (3-0-0) to recommend to the full City Council to grant the Santa Monica Mtns. Conservancy's appeal of the Board of Public Works' decision to approve a categorical exemption from further CEQA analysis for the proposal to pave Bulwer Drive's dirt road and do additional grading and drainage on that hillside. Questions and answers followed as part of a discussion with and among the stakeholders present. 

Orrin reported that the next step would be for the City Council to put the committee's recommendation with regard to Bulwer Drive on the City Council's agenda.

Orrin asked the stakeholders to consider and vote on a draft community impact statement, which would be taken as a recommendation for the full Hollywood HIlls West Neighborhood Council board to adopt. The stakeholders voted unanimously to recommend the following proposal for a community impact statement:

"HHWNC recommends that the LA City Council grant the SMMC's pending appeal and direct the Department of Public Works to do further environmental analysis of any proposal for road paving, grading or drainage on the Bulwer hillisde because the hillside is such an important link in the east-west wildlife corridor through the Santa Monica Mtns."

Sandy Gendel, the Pace Restaurant's owner, and Patrick Panzarello, the restaurant's consultant, spoke on behalf of their application for additional entitlements under the restaurant's conditional use permit (CUP) during what was a contentious discussion. Pace Restaurant is located at 2100 Laurel Canyon Blvd.

Mr. Gendel mentioned that (i) there was an LAPD approved valet parking plan, and (ii) that the restaurant had a lease for 25 parking spaces at 2400 Laurel Canyon Blvd. or an adjacent property to the south, both of which are owned by Jose Luis Nazar. Mr. Gendel undertook to provide copies to Orrin, but didn't.  Orrin expressed concern that 2400 Laurel Canyon Blvd. is in an R-1 zoned area, where only single family home residential use, is allowed absent a variance or other discretionary approval for any commercial operation, including valet parking for a restaurant. 

Mr. Gendel answered some stakeholder questions about ongoing live music at Pace by stating that everybody loves music, but that he would cease having live music on monday evenings and some tuesday evenings while the restaurant's CUP application was pending if that was what the stakeholders wanted.

Two stakeholders asked whether unpermitted construction to expand the restaurant had resulted in citations and/or any criminal conviction(s) for the building's owner(s).  Mr. Gendel stated at first that the building's owner had incurred a criminal conviction as a result of how the restaurant had been built and/or operated, but then seemed to pull back from that statement. There was no clear answer or understanding at the end of the discussion. 

Several stakeholder questioned Mr. Gendel's answers and credibility. 

Mr. Gendel was angered.  Mr. Gendel asked why Orrin (and others) were out to get him "from day one", which they denied, and he left the meeting. 

Several stakeholders made brief comments on non-agendized items, including the upcoming repaving of portions of Mulholland Drive. 

The meeting adjourned at approximately 8:45 pm. 
 

Meeting Date: 03/24/15 07:00 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: The Mulholland Tennis Club – 2555 Crest View Drive

Details:

1.  Welcome and general comments.

2.  Update with regard to Bulwer Drive.  Bulwer Drive, LLC and the Bureau of Engineering have proposed paving the existing dirt road without providing for (ii) two way traffic, and (ii) any turnaround.  LAFD, City Sanitation Dept. trucks and other large vehicles still would not be able to safely service homes there.  The Board of Public Works will reconsider the proposal.  Pending a report's prepartion, a hearing date for that reconsideration has not yet been set.

3. Laurel Canyon Blvd. – discuss some traffic problems, whether the roadway needs repaving, and what further improvements should be requested.  Also, provide a brief update on repaving Mulholland Drive. 

4.  Pace Restaurant – 2100 Laurel Canyon Blvd.  

Pace restaurant has applied to the City's Planning Dept. for additional entitlements to expand its size, no. of seats, hours of operation (both indoors and outdoors) and add disc jockeys and karaoke. The details are available both on the 10/19/14 area 9 committee meeting agenda and on the area 9 committee's website page.

This is an update and continuation of the discussion at the 10/19/14 meeting.

After that meeting, questions and concerns have arisen with regard to (i) whether the restaurant was expanded and operated with the additional space but without required permits, (ii) whether the patio and other restaurant space encroaches on the public right of way/public land without required permits,  (iii) whether speed humps were installed next to the restaurant without required permits, (iv) whether there is an LAPD approved valet parking plan, and (v) whether any food preparation work was conducted off site at nearby homes, which are not zoned for commercial use.

5.  Party houses in HHWNC's Areas 8 & 9 – a discussion.

6.  Los Angeles City Council District 4 runoff election:

Candidates Carolyn Ramsay and David Ryu will speak to us and have an opportunity to answer some questions.  

Questions for the candidates should be submitted and will be screened. We anticipate that only a small portion of the questions will be asked to either or both candidates. If you wish to submit a question in advance of the meeting, please send your questions to the two area committee chairs at [email protected] and [email protected]. You also may submit questions to the area committee chairs during the meeting.

7.  Public comments on non-agendized items.

8.  Adjournment.

The meeting began at approximately 7:07 pm.  

Orrin Feldman introduced Sean Benaroya, the area 8 committee chair, and Oren Katz, the business committee chair.  He explained how the meeting's first hour would cover the agenda items other than hearing from the Council District 4 City Council candidates. The second hour would devoted to the two candidates, Carolyn Ramsay and David Ryu. Questions would need to be submitted and screened; no questions would be asked from the floor. 

Orrin reported on the efforts of The Bureau of Engineering, the Board of Public Works, and Bulwer Drive, LLC to pave over the Bulwer Drive dirt road without providing (i) an adequate turnaround for LAFD, Sanitation and other service vehicles, and (ii) two way traffic. Pending a Bureau of Engineering report to the City Council, the City Council committee's hearing to send the matter back to the Bureau had not been scheduled.

Traffic issues relating to both Laurel Canyon Blvd. and Mulholland Drive were the next topic discussed.  Stakeholders asked why LA Department of Transportation had never made any improvements to provide better access to Mulholland Drive from both Woodrow Wilson and Briar Summit. Stakeholders also wished for additional time for traffic travelling east/west on Mulholland Drive during peak traffic times, and for additional traffic times at the left hand west bound traffic light's arrow at Laurel/Laurel Terrace. Stakeholders generally thought that the Laurel/Laurel Terrace light time was so short as to be inherently dangerous and possibly accident causing.

There also was a suggestion that both intersections warranted further study. A suggestion was made that LA DOT should consider whether it would be appropriate to cut back some of the landscaping at the DWP installation at Laurel/Mulholland if it could improve the through traffic flow at the intersection in a safe manner.

One stakeholder mentioned that her Vespa was not big enough to trigger the arrowed turn signal on southbound Laurel Canyon Blvd. at Mulholland, which left her stranded sometimes in the intersection. She asked whether LA DOT could look into fixing that problem.   

Pace restaurant was discussed briefly. It is expected to be on the May meeting's agenda.

Party house issues also were discussed briefly.  

The meeting's second hour was spent listening to Carolyn Ramsey and David Ryu answering questions and discussing their goals, if elected, as the next City Council Member for Council District 4.

The meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm.  

 

Meeting Date: 10/14/14 07:00 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: The Mulholland Tennis Club -2555 Crest View Drive

Details:

1. Welcome and general comments.

2. The Hon. Adrin Nazarian, our State Assembly member, will discuss his work on our behalf in Sacramento. Q & A to follow.

3.  Commitee chair reports on recent developments in HHWNC's areas 8 & 9, which are Mt. Olympus and lower Laurel Canyon (area 8) and Torreyson, Briar Summit and upper Laurel Canyon (area 9).  

4.  Pace Restaurant – 2100 Laurel Canyon Blvd.

Pace restaurant has applied to the City's Planning Department for a new conditional use permit in order to expand from serving beer and wine to serving a full line of alcohol as well as to add (i) new space and more seats, both indoors and outdoors, (ii) Disc Jockeys and Karaoke, and (iii) expand the hours of operation from 11 pm to 1 am on fridays and saturdays. 

A copy of the application is available at www.hhwnc.org/node/3455 under the HHWNC PLUM committee's articles.  The application states that there are only 14 shared valet parking spaces, which presumably are shared with the market, the market and restaurant's employees as well as restaurant customers.

There is a possibility that there will be a motion and vote to make recommendations to the full HHWNC board to take a position on the CUP applicaiton, which will be decided by a Planning Department zoning administrator after a pubic hearing. The hearing date has not yet been set.

5.  Bulwer Drive – Bulwer Drive, LLC has asked the City's Department of Public Works for permission to pave over the existing dirt roadway.  The Board of Public Works Commissioners voted (3-2) to approve a Bureau of Engineering proposal allowing Bulwer Drive, LLC to pave over the dirt roadway, take some private property for widening the road, and grade four lots which are downslope of the road going down to Laurel Canyon Blvd. The City Council's Members voted (14-0) on September 15, 2014, to veto the project approval and send the proposal back to the Board of Public Works for reconsideration. The date for the Board of Public Works Commissioners to reconsider the proposed project has not been set, but is expected to be in November, 2014.

There is a possibility that there will be a motion and vote to make recommendations to the full HHWNC board to take a positiion on the road paving proposal(s).

6.  "What should we know when a film/tv crew comes to work in our neighborhood?" – Sharon Shapiro, Council District 4's Hollywood Area Director for City Council Member Tom La Bonge, and Guy Langone, Film LA's representative for our areas, will lead a discussion.   

7.  Public comments on non-agendized items.

8.  Adjournment.

——————————————-

Download a PDF of this Agenda

The joint committees' meeting began at 7:10 p.m. with brief comments from Sean Benaroya and Orrin Feldman, the comittees' chair persons. 

Stakeholder introductions followed.  55 stakeholders attended the meeting.

California State Assembly Member Adrin Nazarian spoke about the state government and the state legislaure's past session's acheivements. He also answered a few questions about local issues, including some questions about two proposed developments and traffic. 

Sean reported on some local area 8 concerns, including the possibility of getting the City's Street Services Dept. to resume street cleaning in area 8 on a regular basis.

Orrin reported on some local area 9 concerns, such as DWP electrical improvements, fencing in the Woodrow Wilson reservoir, and a proposed settlement in principle regarding 8145 Willow Glen which was reached between the developer and the Santa Monica Mtns. Conservancy.

Sharon Shapiro, Council District 4's Hollywood Area Director for City Council Member Tom La Bonge, and Film LA's Guy Langone and Arturo Pina a presentation and discussion on "what we should know when a film/tv crew comes to work in our neighborhood".  

There was a discussion regarding Pace Restaurant's application to expand it's operations and conditional use permit entitlements to have additional weekend hours of operations, sell a full line of alcoholic beverages, have sidewalk dining, karaoke and DJ's at 2100 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sanford Gendel, the restaurant's owner, and Patrick Panzarello, the restaurant's consultant, were there on behalf of the restaurant. There were comments from  many stakeholders; some were in favor of the application, and some opposed it. No vote was taken with regard to making any recommendations concerning the application to HHWNC's board. Messrs. Gendel and Panzarello were invited to come back at the next joint committees' meeting for additional discussion.

A discussion with regard to Bulwer Drive and the proposals made by Bulwer Drive, LLC and the City's Bureau of Engineering to The City's Board of Public Works for approval(s) to pave over the existing dirt roadway followed. Stakeholders were suprised that anyone would want to pave that existing dirt roadway except for their own profit, and expressed dismay that anyone thought that doing so would increase public safety.  

Areas 8 and 9's stakeholders voted (36-0-0) to recommend to HHWNC's board that the board vote to recommend to the City's Board of Public Works that (i) the Board should deny the application(s) to pave over Bulwer Drive's dirt roadway, but that if the Board insists on paving over the dirt road, that (ii) the Board shuld follow Council Member Tom La Bonge's recommendations that any road there should provide (a) for two-way traffic, and (b) a turnaround which will enable LAFD vehicles, Sanitation trucks and USPS mail delivery trucks to provide service to any homes on that Bulwer hillside.

The meeting adjourned at 9 p.m.  

 

 

Meeting Date: 09/06/12 06:30 PM

Meeting Type: Regular

Location: Mulholland Tennis Club

Details: Area 9 meeting
9/6/12
6:30 
Mulholland Tennis club
item: meet & greet 
discussion
public comment