Meeting Date: 03/26/08 06:15 PM
Meeting Type: Regular
Location: Will & Ariel Durant Branch Library 7140 W. Sunset Blvd. CA 90046 –
Corner of Detroit & Sunset- 1 block west of La Brea (323) 876-7241
Details: 1 ( Call to order
2 ( Update 5 min.
3.) Keith Garcia of the Emergency management Department will make a presentation , then help us make a Disaster plan for our areas.
What we need to know. What you need to do. Evacuation sites.
4.( Q & A
5. ( non agenda items
6. ( adjourn
Emergency Services – Police & fire HHWNC
March 26, 2008 – Will & Ariel Durant Library
Meeting called to order by chair Valorie Keegan at 6:25 pm.
22 stakeholders present.
1) Bruce Remick – EMS Committee spoke to Police issues.
We are experiencing problems regarding auto break-ins.
Please don’t leave anything of value visible in your car. GPS , ipods etc.
Call the Police and report all incidents or suspicious activity.
Check out E- Policing online and sign up.
2) Marilyn Wall – EMS Committee spoke on CPAB
Our community e-mail trees are working really well. Marilyn mentioned linking e-mail trees for the HHWNC. This was well received.
3) Valorie Keegan – chair gave an update on a Disaster Preparedness class There is a class available to us. This Course is taught by the LAFD Community Emergency Response Unit.
Valorie will look into setting up the class and a location for May 2008.
All areas and H/O groups present will get word out in their areas and take sign ups.
4) Valorie gave a CPR class update for Dan Vanoost EMS committee.
There is CPR classes available. Certified and non certified classes, Adult, child and infant. The committee will check into class specifics.
5) Runyon Canyon – outreach / information morning for families and pet owners. Susan Mullins offered help.
Keith Garcia – Los Angeles Emergency Management Department
Keith Garcia spoke to the committee on the City’s disaster plan and what we need to know and do.
A written power point presentation was handed out and followed.
Topics reviewed and discussed:
a) Evacuations kits- food , water, transportation, disabilities, family call lists-
identification, clothing & toiletries.
b) Pet kits and needs
c) Mass Evacuations, Assumptions. types of evacuations – shelter in place-
relief may not be readily available, – out of area incidents that might impact your area.
d) Potential types of disasters: Earthquake, Fire, Utility Loss, Storm, Hazardous materials & Aviation.
e) Issues to consider: Large population, Seniors, People with disabilities, Egress, ( getting out ) & Lack of shelters.
We all need to do the best we can to get informed and prepare ourselves for any disaster.
It is important to know your neighbors and be ready to work together.
5) Q & A
Q: Where would we evacuate to ?
A: Hollywood high school has been used in the past. There are currently no other specific sites identified.
Q: What is the most important thing we all should do ?
A: Get informed and prepared.
Make a plan for you , your family & pets.
Have out of state contact phone numbers.
Review your plan & kits.
Know your neighbors and be ready to work together.
If you have special needs, make sure you have a plan ahead of time.
Conclusion: All areas will need to work together to come up with a community plan. We will continue to work with the City on a awareness, planning and identifying potential sites for evacuation.
Meeting adjourned at 7:55
- PLUM Meeting, September 15, 2021
- Area 3 / Area 4 / Housing / Business / Public Safety
- Lawn Be Gone Workshops
- Hollywood Hills West Neighborhood Council to Hold a Town Hall for Upper Runyon Canyon Parking
- Community Enrichment Chair Vacancy
- HHWNC Board Meeting – Sept. 22 (Dark in August)
- HHWNC Board Meeting – July 21, 2021